Cat keeps being ill

momtobruceandmimi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I have a male cat. About four years old. He's normally OK. But every year during this time that it April-May he'd be sick for a while. Not eating, fever etc and that goes away only after the vet gives him antibiotics. This happens mostly during the season change like us humans catch the flu during season changes. I don't know why it keeps happening to him. I have two other female cats and they are, thankfully, healthier and things like these don't happen to them. Also the male cat is strictly domestic whereas the other two are outdoor cats and come only during meal times. The animal health are system here in India is really poor. And the vets I've talked to only say that he needs vitamins and such. They don't reccomemd any other test to see if there could be other underlying problems. I'm really worried about him. When he gets sick I can't concentrate on anything except him and each time I worry something bad might happen like he might not recover this time around. Does anyone know symptoms like these or have any idea why this happens? Thank you very much! Also English is not my native language so for mistakes I apologise.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I have a male cat. About four years old. He's normally OK. But every year during this time that it April-May he'd be sick for a while. Not eating, fever etc and that goes away only after the vet gives him antibiotics. This happens mostly during the season change like us humans catch the flu during season changes. I don't know why it keeps happening to him. I have two other female cats and they are, thankfully, healthier and things like these don't happen to them. Also the male cat is strictly domestic whereas the other two are outdoor cats and come only during meal times. The animal health are system here in India is really poor. And the vets I've talked to only say that he needs vitamins and such. They don't reccomemd any other test to see if there could be other underlying problems. I'm really worried about him. When he gets sick I can't concentrate on anything except him and each time I worry something bad might happen like he might not recover this time around. Does anyone know symptoms like these or have any idea why this happens? Thank you very much! Also English is not my native language so for mistakes I apologise.
Hello M momtobruceandmimi ! I'm sorry that you are unable to find a vet who can help you in India. But I don't think you need to worry too much. When a cat has a fever and is not eating, vets will always assume the cause is one of the many cat-viruses. Antibotics are given simply to control secondary infections. As long as things improve and the cat is eating again, no more investigations are called for.

I have had a male cat who regularly had similar symptoms and was always treated with various antibiotics until one was found which helped him. As he got older, the trips to the vet became less frequent. I assumed it was a virus he had contacted as a kitten which, in spite of vaccinations, kept returning as viruses are wont to do.

Your outdoor cats may be bringing viruses into the house and, whereas they may have grown immune to them, his immune system may not be strong enough to resist them. Hence the advice from your vet is not wrong: vitamins! Regardless of which virus is affecting him, a healthy diet to help his body cope is the best way forward.

Good luck!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I tend to agree with gilmargl gilmargl about what is going on. Your boy probably has some sort of viral issue that flares up - for whatever reason - during certain seasonal changes. It triggers an immune-response and while he fights it off he is ill. And, as also said above, the antibiotics are prescribed partly to ward off secondary infections that can set in, and they most likely are a precaution to help him to get past his flare up.

Has your boy ever been tested for any of the common viruses (FVR, FCV, for example)? Whether or not he has, sometimes anti-viral meds can be of help - which might be something to discuss with the vet about administering to him ahead of his usual seasonal bout.

And, there are supplements to help keep a cat's immune system more 'robust'. When the vet mentioned vitamins, did they offer any specific ideas? These supplements usually involve not just vitamins, but probiotics too. Omega-3 fatty acids are also a good immune booster. There are members on this site who give their cats immune-boosting supplements - if they do not respond here, you could try to create a new thread, explaining what is going on with your cat, but asking specifically for recommendations.

(Btw, your english is just fine! And, a pic or two of your cats, with their names, is always welcome, when you get the chance.)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

momtobruceandmimi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I tend to agree with gilmargl gilmargl about what is going on. Your boy probably has some sort of viral issue that flares up - for whatever reason - during certain seasonal changes. It triggers an immune-response and while he fights it off he is ill. And, as also said above, the antibiotics are prescribed partly to ward off secondary infections that can set in, and they most likely are a precaution to help him to get past his flare up.

Has your boy ever been tested for any of the common viruses (FVR, FCV, for example)? Whether or not he has, sometimes anti-viral meds can be of help - which might be something to discuss with the vet about administering to him ahead of his usual seasonal bout.

And, there are supplements to help keep a cat's immune system more 'robust'. When the vet mentioned vitamins, did they offer any specific ideas? These supplements usually involve not just vitamins, but probiotics too. Omega-3 fatty acids are also a good immune booster. There are members on this site who give their cats immune-boosting supplements - if they do not respond here, you could try to create a new thread, explaining what is going on with your cat, but asking specifically for recommendations.

(Btw, your english is just fine! And, a pic or two of your cats, with their names, is always welcome, when you get the chance.)
Thank you so much for your kind reply. No he has not been tested with any of those viruses because like I was saying in my main post the veterinary hospitals where I live are not very advanced. They just give some antibiotics and that's all. Some times I see on the YouTube the animal hospitals in first world countries and I'm envious that my boy and girls do not get anything remotely resembling that kind of treatment if that makes sense lol. He's currently on antibiotics and it's a difficult job to get him to take the medicine also he's not eating so making sure he eats/drinks and I'm afraid I'm having to force feed him. Thank you again for reply I will try to update you all

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momtobruceandmimi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello M momtobruceandmimi ! I'm sorry that you are unable to find a vet who can help you in India. But I don't think you need to worry too much. When a cat has a fever and is not eating, vets will always assume the cause is one of the many cat-viruses. Antibotics are given simply to control secondary infections. As long as things improve and the cat is eating again, no more investigations are called for.

I have had a male cat who regularly had similar symptoms and was always treated with various antibiotics until one was found which helped him. As he got older, the trips to the vet became less frequent. I assumed it was a virus he had contacted as a kitten which, in spite of vaccinations, kept returning as viruses are wont to do.

Your outdoor cats may be bringing viruses into the house and, whereas they may have grown immune to them, his immune system may not be strong enough to resist them. Hence the advice from your vet is not wrong: vitamins! Regardless of which virus is affecting him, a healthy diet to help his body cope is the best way forward.

Good luck!
Thank you for replying to my message. I'm a little relieved to hear that your cat got less ill as he got older. I will talk to the vet about the vitamins also. Here's the covid situation is getting worse again and so the vets are available only via phone. I'm going out again today to purchase some medicines for him. Can you guys reccomemd an easier way to feed him since he has lost all appetite? I'm currently feeding him boiled fish, mashing them so he has no difficulty swallowing but it's been a real challenge since he won't accept a single bite and will only cry to be freed. I will try the wet food in the afternoon.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying to my message. I'm a little relieved to hear that your cat got less ill as he got older. I will talk to the vet about the vitamins also. Here's the covid situation is getting worse again and so the vets are available only via phone. I'm going out again today to purchase some medicines for him. Can you guys reccomemd an easier way to feed him since he has lost all appetite? I'm currently feeding him boiled fish, mashing them so he has no difficulty swallowing but it's been a real challenge since he won't accept a single bite and will only cry to be freed. I will try the wet food in the afternoon.
If he is not eating, it is not good news at all. Ask the vet if it is possible to give him something to improve his appetite. If I remember rightly (and it is probably more than 40 years ago, when vets here in Germany were not too well-informed about cats` illnesses either), my cat would be given an injection to improve his appetite, and antibiotics (again by injection) at the surgery. I would have to attend the surgery every day for repeat performances until 1) the cat was eating and 2) his temperature had returned to normal. After that I was given 5 days supply of tablets (antibiotics).

It is most important that he eats. Can you get kitten food in India? If not, perhaps even better, a small jar of baby food - chicken for babies of one to 3 or 4 months old (no salt), or chicken with potatoes or pumpkin. Hopefully he may be able to lick that off your fingers.

I wish you the best of luck with your little boy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you guys reccomemd an easier way to feed him since he has lost all appetite? I'm currently feeding him boiled fish, mashing them so he has no difficulty swallowing but it's been a real challenge since he won't accept a single bite and will only cry to be freed. I will try the wet food in the afternoon.
I don't know what all you have available, but
- canned tuna or chicken in water might be something to try
- baby food meats (ones with no additives like garlic or onions, etc.)
- lickable treats for cats (I would suggest brands but not sure that would be of any help to you)
- sardines (no bones)
- chicken or turkey

Also, as gilmargl gilmargl said kitten food if you have it - and kitten milk replacer (commonly referred to as KMR here in the states). You could use the KMR to make a slurry with the kitten food or any other food to see if he would lap it up that way. These two options have a lot of calories in them, so if he were to eat them that would help immensely.

Talk to the vet about appetite stimulants and if there is a way to buy them somewhere since all you have is phone contact with them. .