Cat just gave birth

Prettydri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it normal for my pregnant cat to have really dry and crusty nipples? I can’t tell if it’s dried milk or if it’s just dried/dead skin. Is there anything I can do for her?
9342AFDC-4468-4A0C-81BC-78483C67ECA8.jpeg
F9FBD049-4EA3-4557-9ABF-F4D8451905CA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it’s normal. It can be either dry skin or dried milk. Apply coconut oil to ease the dryness, and continue after she has her kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Prettydri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just gave birth to one baby so far and she hasn’t ate the placenta. Should I be worried or do I give her time? It’s still attached to baby and the umbilical cord. If she doesn’t detach it/eat it how do I help?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can pinch off the cord about an inch from the kitten’s belly. She may not eat the placenta. If she does not, just throw it away.

Are there more kittens now? How is mom doing? Is the kitten nursing yet?

Prettydri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thank you! She had another one she’s doing good. She hasn’t nursed yet she gave birth to one in a box and then she moved to her carrier to give birth to the other. It’s been 30 mins since she’s had another one

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put both kittens with mama to stay warm and see if they will nurse. If mom is still having kittens she may not be ready to nurse yet, but the kittens should be together and need a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel or heating pad set on low under a towel to stay warm. They cannot regulate their own body temperature the first 3 weeks.

Prettydri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: she just gave birth again! Should I keep the babies together until she’s done giving birth or are they okay being next to her while she’s delivering

Prettydri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just seen your reply! Okay got it. I warmed up a sock with rice in it to keep them warm

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wrap the sock in a towel and place it next to the kittens, who should all be kept together. Hopefully mom will be done soon and begin nursing.

Prettydri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had four kittens all together and is nursing! She’s doing very well. She’s in the closet that’s in my bathroom and as I was using the bathroom she came out and starting crying then rubbing herself on me to be petted. Is that normal behavior? For her to be crying and leaving her babies for a moment?

Prettydri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Of course! She’s very attached to me so she will definitely get lots of cuddles and pettings! Thank you again for your help