Cat is sticking her tongue out an pawing at it

Molly Girl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I made a video of her having an episode with this:

This started like 6 months ago and happened pretty rarely. The vet said she had teeth resorption and needed to have 4 teeth extracted. Since her surgery she started doing this much more often. It was happening after every meal or sometimes while grooming. The vet recommended we try gabapentin which seems to bring it under control. After a week of gaba I tried skipping a day and it was just as bad as ever with episodes lasting 20 minutes. The vet thinks it might be the stitches causing irritation but it just seems like something worse is going on to me. Wanted to see if anyone might have any experience with this condition and have any suggestions I can bring to the vet?

Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just exactly how long are these sutures supposed to be there? A cat's mouth isn't that much different than a human's in that (despite the bacteria we all have) the tissue typically heals relatively fast. Are these dissolvable stitches or not? If not, when does she go back to see the vet?

I have read on this site, that sometimes pieces of the tooth/root remain behind after extraction and can cause the same reaction from a cat as the resorption tooth/teeth did. I would talk to your vet, and maybe an x-ray is in order to ensure there are no residual pieces left behind.

Hopefully, some of the members on this site who have dealt with extractions/resorption will come along soon and offer their first hand experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Molly Girl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Just exactly how long are these sutures supposed to be there? A cat's mouth isn't that much different than a human's in that (despite the bacteria we all have) the tissue typically heals relatively fast. Are these dissolvable stitches or not? If not, when does she go back to see the vet?

I have read on this site, that sometimes pieces of the tooth/root remain behind after extraction and can cause the same reaction from a cat as the resorption tooth/teeth did. I would talk to your vet, and maybe an x-ray is in order to ensure there are no residual pieces left behind.

Hopefully, some of the members on this site who have dealt with extractions/resorption will come along soon and offer their first hand experience.
Thanks for the reply. They are dissolvable and the vet said they can take 2-4 weeks to fully dissolve. It will be 2 weeks on Tuesday. I will take her in for another visit this week.