Cat is somehow worse after vet treatments

Sofism9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello :)

So, from the beginning, my boyfriend adopted a young cat (7-8 months) from a shelter, they gave us paperwork that he was all good and a free vet visit.
Next day, we go to the vet and it seems like he is indeed perfectly healthy.

Couple days pass and we hear him sneeze here and there but we assume it’s from his litter being very dusty, so we changed it it to a better brand. He kept sneezing and at this point he would have hard boogies on his nose.

Ater a couple of weeks since we initially had him, we take him to the vet again and we express our concerns, they ask if he’s eating and drinking (yes, he loves food) and if he’s active (very much so). So they suspect it’s an upper respiratory and that at some point in his life he might’ve caught cat herpes.
They prescribed amoxicillin, an oral steroid and eye drops for 7 days.

About 5 to 6 days into his treatment (and yes we have given it correctly and on time) he got dramatically worse, wouldn’t eat, drink and his small sneezes turned into choking/struggle to breathing. His eyes would barely open and he was leaking mucus from his right eye.

We went back to the vet and they said they wanted to do X-rays to make sure he didn’t have asthma. Test came up negative and they prescribed an even stronger anti biotic which we need to give for 16 days.

He look’s miserable, should I get a second opinion here?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll want to go to a different clinic and perferably one not owned by the same corporation that owns the clinic where he was first treated.
When you ask them to send the files to the new vet they may only send the record of his vaccinations and nothing else. I've had that happen more than once. Then you have to go to the office and tell them, no you want the entire file, all of it copied. It's easier just to ask for that first then you'll have it when you go to the new vet. You should also ask for a copy of the x-ray. They may be able to send it to your phone or computer. If you wait until the day of the appointment, it's very likely that somehow things won't get to the new vet until after your appointment.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Late response but immediately bring him to a new vet. He/she will examine and take xrays. I don't say anything unless it's a known condition. Praying he's ok:redheartpump::redheartpump:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very common for kitties in new environments to get an upper respiratory infection. It's also common for them to have one about 5-10 days post vet visit. The culprit is stress. Stress does a number on our little furry babies, just like it can with humans. (Stress can also cause urinary tract infections.)

What is the new antibiotic? Is your kitty eating now? He will probably look worse before he looks better, but I think a different vet may be needed. He probably is running a fever and needs fluids. He may possibly need to stay overnight for monitoring.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very common for kitties in new environments to get an upper respiratory infection. It's also common for them to have one about 5-10 days post vet visit. The culprit is stress. Stress does a number on our little furry babies, just like it can with humans. (Stress can also cause urinary tract infections.)

What is the new antibiotic? Is your kitty eating now? He will probably look worse before he looks better, but I think a different vet may be needed. He probably is running a fever and needs fluids. He may possibly need to stay overnight for monitoring.
My first reaction was the same as stephanietx stephanietx 's, particularly about fluids. Fluids can make a huge difference!

Keep in mind, too, that the herpes virus stays in a cat's body and can cause symptoms later in life, too. We've seen that in several cats now. They symptoms usually are light but they can seem puzzling if you forget the respiratory infection from years ago! (As I recently have!)

Good luck, I hope your cat feels better soon.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Worked at both a shelter and cat rescue & can say the herpes virus runs rampant in both situations. If that's the case that won't be sneezing 24/7, but it will come and go. I've heard Lysine can help, but never used it myself so don't know.
Also, my kitty all but stopped eating while on an antibiotic and we tried cutting it in half, but he still barely ate. I took him off and the next dat he ate regularly and looked so much better too.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: When we adopted our last cat, Neely, she developed a serious URI after being in our home for approx. 4-5 days. Stress definitely was a factor. I had to bring her to the vet daily for nebulizer treatments along with giving her an antibiotic. The nebulization did wonders for her and it may be helpful for your new cat too. However, I agree with the other members that you may want to consider a second opinion. Best of luck and please keep us posted on his progress.:alright: