cat is on budesonide

danicats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

So I have an 8 year old orange tabby cat that's been having non-stop diarrhea since January. My vet and I went through a lot of different options to treat it & figure out the cause (metronidazole, probiotics, food trials, bloodwork etc.) but nothing has helped. Her bloodwork came back all good but she only seemed to get worse until she got put on a steroid. She went on prednisolone and bounced back really well on it but when she got off it, the diarrhea came back and this seems to be the pattern cause she went on a longer trial and same thing once she was back off.

So last week my regular vet referred me to a veterinary medical center where my cat was examined and they did an ultrasound as well as a GI panel that she had to fast for. The ultrasound showed that she does have intestinal inflammation (everything else looked good), though they cannot determine whether it's IBD or small cell lymphoma as that requires a biopsy of the outer intestinal wall (which would require surgery). Currently I'm still waiting on the results of the GI panel which will hopefully reveal something but for now she was put on a different steroid called budesonide. The vet said it's safer to use long term because it works more locally in the intestines as opposed to prednisolone which goes throughout the whole system and puts her at a higher risk for things like diabetes. She received her first dose of it Thursday (it's Monday as I'm posting this) and I haven't noticed much of a change as of yet. She did end up throwing up her third dose on Saturday about 20 minutes after I gave it to her so I'm not sure if that threw her off track to improvement or not.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever had experience with budesonide for intestinal inflammation? How long did it take for your cat to show improvement? Also I was wondering if anyone has a diet they would recommend? My vet has her on Hill's z/d for food sensitivities right now and she was previous on the i/d digestive but my cat doesn't seem to like it very much and I'm wondering if there's a better brand I could ask him to approve for her? Thank you!

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This will not be helpful as I haven’t had a cat take it, but I have taken it. I have IBD (Crohn’s disease). It’s so crazy sometimes how animals and humans can take the same meds

as a side note, the more often I had to take it, the less effective it became.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danicats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This will not be helpful as I haven’t had a cat take it, but I have taken it. I have IBD (Crohn’s disease). It’s so crazy sometimes how animals and humans can take the same meds

as a side note, the more often I had to take it, the less effective it became.
I'm sorry to hear that, I can't imagine having to deal with something like IBD. Seeing my cat deal with these symptoms has been awful.

But yeah, I figured after awhile an immunity would be built and it would be less effective or a higher dose would be needed. As of right now, I still haven't noticed much of change in her symptoms so I have a feeling she might have to go back to the pred.