Cat is not eating after surgery

ssch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have a 4 year old domestic long hair cat. He last week ate a thread that led to exploratory laprotomy on Friday 4/30 after experiencing symptoms and severe dehydration for 4 days. My cat was discharged on 5/1 with instructions to bring him back next two days for subcutaneous fluids and antibiotics. Also I was asked not to feed him anything even water. I followed the instructions but on 5/4 I was left with a cat who refuses to eat anything drinks occasionally water. I have to syringe feed her antibiotics that he hates. I have tried all types of wet food but he is refusing to eat. I am force feeding him little vitamin supplements prescribed by the vet but other than that he is not eating anything. He has always been a picky eater and would only eat his dry kibble. Vet is not allowing me to feed him dry food. I am at a loss what do I do to get him to eat? Please help.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello, I have a 4 year old domestic long hair cat. He last week ate a thread that led to exploratory laprotomy on Friday 4/30 after experiencing symptoms and severe dehydration for 4 days. My cat was discharged on 5/1 with instructions to bring him back next two days for subcutaneous fluids and antibiotics. Also I was asked not to feed him anything even water.
The vet asked you to not feed any food or give water post-surgery???? Food and water is never withheld post-surgery. Most cats are inappetant post-surgery but water is never ever withheld from animals and should never be.

I followed the instructions but on 5/4 I was left with a cat who refuses to eat anything drinks occasionally water. I have to syringe feed her antibiotics that he hates. I have tried all types of wet food but he is refusing to eat. I am force feeding him little vitamin supplements prescribed by the vet but other than that he is not eating anything. He has always been a picky eater and would only eat his dry kibble. Vet is not allowing me to feed him dry food. I am at a loss what do I do to get him to eat? Please help.

Your cat MUST get calories somehow or fatty liver disease will develop. Vitamin supplements are of no use despite what the vet says. The cat needs FOOD. Try poaching chicken in plain water and offering the shredded meat. Try meat only baby food.

Is there another vet you cat take your cat to? This vet doesn't sound very competent at all to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ssch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet asked you to not feed any food or give water post-surgery???? Food and water is never withheld post-surgery. Most cats are inappetant post-surgery but water is never ever withheld from animals and should never be.

Your cat MUST get calories somehow or fatty liver disease will develop. Vitamin supplements are of no use despite what the vet says. The cat needs FOOD. Try poaching chicken in plain water and offering the shredded meat. Try meat only baby food.

Is there another vet you cat take your cat to? This vet doesn't sound very competent at all to me.
Yes he asked me to withheld both water and food till Monday evening. Surgery was Friday. He was given subcutaneous fluids daily. I can't change the vet as no one in my area can see my cat at such short notice. He told me my cats intestines were opened at 7 places and because of the complications we have to be careful with the food.
I have tried boiled chicken and multiple wet food cans but my cat won't take any. He has never been a fan of wet food.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And how would your vet think a cat can survive 3 days without water and food?
Your vet should have kept your cat at his practice and administer IV fluids, supplements, vitamins and all other stuff necessary to keep your cat going while he couldn't eat, at least until the day of discharging.
It sounds like your vet missed something in conveying the bits of advice post surgery.

ssch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree. But I need steps I can do to help my cat now. He is taking clavamox and metronidazole twice a day at home. I have started syringe feeding him lickable chicken. He has been a running a fever for past two days. Vet gave him ketofen injection I think yesterday for that. I haven't taken him to the vet today yet. I don't think he has any pain medication. Could that be the reason for him not eating?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can handle a lot of pain. With a fever, he must be developing an infection. Could you try dry soaked in water? He must start eating. Offer fast food meat, like Arby's. ANYTHING. Get some kitten dry and see if he will eat that, it is much smaller and more nutritious. His stomach should soften the food before it hits his intestines.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree. But I need steps I can do to help my cat now. He is taking clavamox and metronidazole twice a day at home. I have started syringe feeding him lickable chicken. He has been a running a fever for past two days. Vet gave him ketofen injection I think yesterday for that. I haven't taken him to the vet today yet. I don't think he has any pain medication. Could that be the reason for him not eating?
Pain medicine is needed after any surgery that involves opening the body cavity. You woudn't feel like doing anything, much less eat, after such a surgery and have no pain medicine to take. Animals are no different.

I'd start finding a new competent vet. Are you in the US or in another country? I know some countries have very limited veterinary care.

ssch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pain medicine is needed after any surgery that involves opening the body cavity. You woudn't feel like doing anything, much less eat, after such a surgery and have no pain medicine to take. Animals are no different.

I'd start finding a new competent vet. Are you in the US or in another country? I know some countries have very limited veterinary care.
I am in Illinois, he was given pain medicine via injections the first 3 days and now since he is running fever again with injections. Today the vet also gave him vit b12 I think to stimulate his hunger

ssch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats can handle a lot of pain. With a fever, he must be developing an infection. Could you try dry soaked in water? He must start eating. Offer fast food meat, like Arby's. ANYTHING. Get some kitten dry and see if he will eat that, it is much smaller and more nutritious. His stomach should soften the food before it hits his intestines.
Thank you. His blood work came back negative for any sort of infection. Vet is suggesting its the stress that is causing fever and ultimate lack of appetite. I have put food for him, let's hope he eat it tonight.