Cat is limping

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is limping today. He is 15 years old... when should I worry?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. At 15, there is a good chance he has arthritis. Aside from x-rays to confirm it, you can try any number of supplements that might help - same ones humans use. I use Glyco Flex Plus for Feeby (16+ yo), which contains glucosamine, chondroitin, and green lipped mussels. She has been on them for a couple of years now, and limps much less - if at all - than she did before. They are large chews, but can be cut up, as well as being crushed and added to other foods. Feeby ate them cut up for a long time, but now likes them crushed up into a bit of baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut). For me, they cost about $10 a month.

If there has been nothing going on that would have caused an injury - or, even if there might have been - I would still highly recommend some x-rays to see what kind of shape his joints are in.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now is a good time to be concerned. It could very well be arthritis, especially with his age. I have a 15 year old and we give her Cosequin and Dasequin Advanced, one in the AM and the other in the PM. We mix in with wet food with a little bit of water added and serve.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I gave him Cosequin yesterday and he does seem a little better today. He got his tale caught in the fridge door - not hard but enough for him to cry out... I wonder if that had any relation to it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I gave him Cosequin yesterday and he does seem a little better today. He got his tale caught in the fridge door - not hard but enough for him to cry out... I wonder if that had any relation to it.
I can't say for sure, but it is probably not very likely that you would see any significant change from just one dose of Cosequin. The limping could be somewhat tied to his tale injury, and that would explain why you are seeing a difference - in that his tale is not bothering him as much as it was.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you dosing Cosequin twice a day? That might be good to do for a month and then back off to one a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No. My cat can't see a vet. He has been off an on lame for weeks now. I have been giving him the Cosequin and CBD.. but he jumps down off the couch occasionally and can hardly walk. But then 10 minutes later her sprints up the stairs. It is on a leg that has always bothered him I am considering giving him a larger dose.