Cat Introductions And Sickness

SparrowMo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! Was hoping to get advice from some of the people who have had more experience at this sort of thing ...

I have had my first cat (Sparrow) for about eight years. He has been an only cat since I got him at the shelter (when he was about six months old). He's a pretty mellow cat overall but does demand attention and playtime. Recently, he has started showing signs that he's incredibly lonely during the daytime - everyone (myself, vet, family members who know him) are in agreement that he probably needs something to occupy himself when I'm not home. I decided to get a second cat; even if they're not BFFs, I'm hoping at least he'll have something else around to watch to stave off boredom. He bonded pretty strongly to me, but with the exception of a few other people, he's pretty aloof to everyone else.

So I adopted a second cat, Mo, who I brought home last Wednesday night. Mo's two years old, but he plays extremely well with other cats (and per the shelter, is good at not playing with a cat if the other cat is not feeling it). According to the shelter, he can be playful, but most of the time he's mellow and cuddly, which is the side I got to see of him every time I visited the shelter. He is extraordinarily affectionate with all humans that he meets, too.

I set up a separate spare bedroom for him with litterbox/food/water/scratchers/toys, and things seemed to be going OK. Sparrow growled at the door and hissed a few times, but as the days have worn on he's become noticeably less concerned about the newcomer, even going so far as to happily play on the other side of the door; eating is no problem, and he'll eat right there even if Mo is right on the other side. I've let Mo out to the 'main' part of the house with Sparrow locked in my bedroom a few times, and that also seems to be going well. They've sniffed each other through the door with nothing more than a few irritated huffs and an occasional growl from Sparrow. I think the only thing that alarms him a little at this point is that Mo is a very sociable cat, who is clearly desperate for the company of another cat at the moment. He cries and cries (like a kitten searching for its mother) when he hears Sparrow near the door, or if he hears Sparrow meowing at me, and goes looking for him every time I let him out in the main area of the house. So I'm taking the introductions pretty slow because I don't want to overwhelm Sparrow.

This morning, unfortunately, I noticed Mo had pretty bad diarrhea and he's developed a troubling cough. He's also become much more lethargic. I was going to take him in for his first wellness check next week anyway, but now I'm going to see if my vet can fit us in tomorrow morning instead. He was checked for all the usual at the shelter and has had several rounds of vaccinations, was neutered/dewormed/deflea-ed, etc., but I know they can't catch everything in a shelter environment, and the stress of moving has probably not been good to Mo's immune system.

I'm worried how this is going to affect the introduction period - obviously I don't want Sparrow to get sick, so I've quarantined Mo to the spare bedroom for now and have halted any further introductions, because I don't want to further stress Mo's immune system. But it's also a struggle because Mo is going to be very lonely in the spare bedroom (I think he's badly missing his shelter buddies), and I'm not sure he can last several weeks of being alone. I try to go in and either sit with him or play with him for several hours a day, but I do work and only have one bed to sleep in, so I have to leave him in his own room at night. He cries sporadically through the night.

I wanted to do more site-swapping between the two of them, but I have to hold off on it for now. Do you think Mo is going to be OK holed up in the spare room for that long? Is it a problem if I just halt introductions altogether at this point? I don't want Sparrow to think that the mysterious visitor is never coming out of the room. It's been a bit hard giving attention to two cats in two separate places, and I'm doing my best, but I feel like I'm neglecting both of them.

I also feel really bad because Mo's room is EXTREMELY stinky because of the diarrhea. I am scooping several times a day, and I've already fully replaced his litter once, but it doesn't seem to do much and I honestly feel bad about leaving him in there.

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding Mo the same stuff he used to eat? Is he hydrated?

My first thought is to take him to the vet on Tuesday. Has he been immunized? There is a cat disease that kills kittens/sometimes kills cats, panlokemia. I would be very concenered and hoping that it is just a food change.

In the meantime you can buy him unflavored pedialite. You can also add baby rice cereal mixed into wet food, just a teaspoon max of the dried powder on the wet food dinner or less. I would buy baby food (chicken or beef .. make sure it is meat o lay with no onions or garlic. I think my cats liked the chicken better.) I would mix 1/2 pedialite and 1/2 baby food and offer it to him twice a day... just to try to get fluids in him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SparrowMo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dante - Thank you for replying, appreciate it! I am transitioning his food, so that might be contributing to some of the diarrhea. I've been mixing what he was fed at the shelter with some new (grain-free/less junky) food, but maybe I've been going too fast. I just noticed the diarrhea today because it's gotten bad, but his stool was fairly loose when I got him, so I'm wondering if he was ill before I brought him home. He doesn't appear dehydrated (yet) when I do the pinch test on the back of his neck.

He has had one vaccine and a booster for panleukopenia, so although it's not impossible I think it unlikely (fortunately).

Thanks for the advice on pedialite and baby food, I had no idea you could give that to cats. Would definitely be good to keep him hydrated.

SparrowMo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Ruby -

Mo is doing much better. Vet gave me some medication for the diarrhea that seems to be working very well, and he apparently just has a kitty cold. He's still wheezing a bit but it's not nearly as bad as earlier this week, so I'm very relieved.

Only major problem is that the hernia surgery he had at the shelter apparently failed ... he's going to have to have it again within the next few weeks, oy. But it doesn't seem to be bothering him, which is good!

Thank you for asking. :)

In a few days once Mo's sniffles abate I'll continue with site-swapping and introductions, hopefully in a few weeks I won't have to worry about keeping them separated. That's the hardest part right now.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad Mo is doing better. That's unfortunate that he has to have surgery, but hopefully once he's all fixed up, he'll feel better and he and Sparrow can work on becoming best buds. :catlove:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad he's feeling better!!
We've had this happen with shelter/rescue animals before. They come in, everything fine, then bam they have some sickness.
The best way we've found to associate it with a person is imagining if we went into the hospital, had a big surgery, were given a flu shot and maybe other vaccines and were treated for lice, then ate hospital food (bad or good, it's different than what we're used to), added to the stress of being in a new place, and it wouldn't be a shocker if we got sick.
The vaccines, neuter, de worming, de-fleaing all may be very very necessary and helpful, but even so it's a lot of "stuff" on a little body, and being at the shelter probably was a bit of stress as was going into a new home with an established adult cat (even though they get along, those stand offs can be a bit stressful) and then a gentle food transition, etc.
I'm glad it was very short lived and easier to treat than not, as has been our experiences as well =)

SparrowMo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks ruby and dante! :)

bruce - It does make logical sense! Stress doesn't improve the immune system, that's for sure. :) And agreed about all the vaccines/neuter/de-worming stuff! That in itself is a stressful process. Glad to know I'm not the only one who had to go through that!

I'm getting a bit worried though. :( Mo is getting better physically - and I should be able to schedule his surgery this week. But he's really desperate to get to Sparrow. I've never seen a cat this old so wanting to bond to a completely strange cat before. I can play with him for ten or fifteen minutes, and then he goes back to calling for Sparrow. When I let him into the rest of the house with Sparrow locked in my bedroom, he goes right outside the bedroom door and calls and calls. He doesn't want out of his safe room to play with me - he wants out so he can meet Sparrow.

Problem is Sparrow isn't super excited about the new arrangement. He doesn't hiss or growl through the doorway anymore, but he does rapidly bat (no claws) at the door if Mo tries to get through the crack (which he does, he practically tries to claw his way out). I think Sparrow's overwhelmed by how overly excited Mo is. I think if Mo calmed down he might be OK, but I can't see that happening anytime soon. Mo also has way too much energy for me to tire out with toys, he gets bored and stops before he's really tired. It's frustrating.

I feel pretty awful because I can't do much with Mo; he's either in his room, where he periodically cries, or I try to play with him for a bit and then he starts to cry and ignore me. He's really restless. I'm really worried that if it doesn't work out between the two of them, I'll have to find Mo a home with another companion cat. It's already been over a week and it's been getting worse rather than better, Mo's meow is hoarse from crying so much.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks ruby and dante! :)

bruce - It does make logical sense! Stress doesn't improve the immune system, that's for sure. :) And agreed about all the vaccines/neuter/de-worming stuff! That in itself is a stressful process. Glad to know I'm not the only one who had to go through that!

I'm getting a bit worried though. :( Mo is getting better physically - and I should be able to schedule his surgery this week. But he's really desperate to get to Sparrow. I've never seen a cat this old so wanting to bond to a completely strange cat before. I can play with him for ten or fifteen minutes, and then he goes back to calling for Sparrow. When I let him into the rest of the house with Sparrow locked in my bedroom, he goes right outside the bedroom door and calls and calls. He doesn't want out of his safe room to play with me - he wants out so he can meet Sparrow.

Problem is Sparrow isn't super excited about the new arrangement. He doesn't hiss or growl through the doorway anymore, but he does rapidly bat (no claws) at the door if Mo tries to get through the crack (which he does, he practically tries to claw his way out). I think Sparrow's overwhelmed by how overly excited Mo is. I think if Mo calmed down he might be OK, but I can't see that happening anytime soon. Mo also has way too much energy for me to tire out with toys, he gets bored and stops before he's really tired. It's frustrating.

I feel pretty awful because I can't do much with Mo; he's either in his room, where he periodically cries, or I try to play with him for a bit and then he starts to cry and ignore me. He's really restless. I'm really worried that if it doesn't work out between the two of them, I'll have to find Mo a home with another companion cat. It's already been over a week and it's been getting worse rather than better, Mo's meow is hoarse from crying so much.
I've been "into "owning multiple cats for decades and sometimes we separate for their own reasons (they colonize, multiples do, and sometimes they aren't the best of friends).
The less numbers the easier the transition. Once Mo has reign of the house and settles in to the entire scope of his turf, he WILL settle down. He's a healthy active youngster that's wondering what's going on. Once he realizes he's home and has this entire house as his own, I do honestly think he will relax and you'll see less restless stuff and more happy, chill cat hanging out with his new bro Sparrow.
The transition and intro period can be a bit challenging but aside from two girls that can't be together (they do a lot of screaming, no real fighting but who wants to listen to that?) we have yet to fail to integrate a cat into our house. And we're no experts at all!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe look into calming treats for Mo. Or Feliway. I've never used either, but have seen them mentioned in other threads.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe look into calming treats for Mo. Or Feliway. I've never used either, but have seen them mentioned in other threads.
Feliway can be excellent!
Also, don't hover. If you let them out, watch them out of your vision but don't hang over them, holding your breath, expecting an argument. In dogs I've seen too many dog fights caused by humans straining the leash, holding their breath, whispering "oh no" or "oh ****" when another dog approaches. That tension travels! If Sparrow sees his long time owner freeze up, hold their breath, and stare wide eyed at this new-ish cat making their way into the living room, he'll probably read this and think you don't WANT this cat here.
Relax. Smile, laugh, do other stuff (or fake it, pretend you're really interested in a throw pillow) and act like you are totally 100% OK and happy about this new cat. It puts everyone at ease.

SparrowMo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bruce and ruby - Thanks so much for the support, very much appreciated!! I have ordered Feliway to hopefully chill Mo out a bit. :) Also, bruce - the meowing has lessened a little. Mo is still obnoxious about it, but I actually got a full night's sleep last night, which has improved my mood significantly.

Things are going better. I was a little exhausted and exasperated at all the meowing on both ends a few days ago so I eventually allowed them a little face-to-face time, about ten minutes at a go. They're actually doing better than I expected. No hissing or growling right now, and they've been playing/hanging out a few feet from one another. Mo is still super interested in Sparrow though, and he darts forwards to play - and Sparrow jerks back and swats at him. Apparently Mo is not good at personal bubbles. Sparrow is clearly a bit curious about Mo, and occasionally I've seen him move as if he might want to play, but then Mo moves too quickly and startles him.

The only thing I'm a little concerned about is that if Sparrow starts moving, Mo immediately moves to chase - I'm pretty sure it's just in attempted play, but it freaks Sparrow out and he races off, and Mo then goes faster. I don't want it to end in aggression or where Mo views Sparrow as prey. At what point am I supposed to just let them sort it out? I'm trying not to hover, but it's hard when there is swatting involved. I do know that they need to establish a hierarchy at some point.

On a positive note, I have taught Mo how to come and sit, and it's a really good way to distract him if he's getting too pushy with Sparrow. He adores chicken and is super easy to train, even easier than Sparrow was.

SparrowMo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Mo attacked Sparrow this morning. :sighs: He tried to jump on Sparrow's back and bite him. Sparrow hissed and swatted him hard, then raced off, Mo tried to follow but I broke it up and put Mo away.

I know it's only been two and a half weeks but it's really discouraging. Mo is just so fixated on Sparrow that it's starting to worry me.