Cat in severe pain: possibly near fatal... need help immediately, not vet advice has helped

tuomistoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat, male, 6,5 years old, 3.8 kg, unneutered, no chronic diseases.

Initial diagnosis of the cat is cystitis. Cat cries loudly with a deep loud voice, not only before an attempt to go to the toilet (urine without blood), but also at random moments. Has urinary retention (makes 1-2 ~10 ml puddles per day, and after getting Papaverinum after a while - the whole volume at once (~50-70 ml).
The first ultrasound (1) showed suspension in his bladder, so the vet prescribed KotErvin (cats herbal tea), Royal Canin Urinary S/O, Onsior pills, Kornam.
The urine test (2) taken with puncture showed nothing critical except some amount of spermatozoids.
3 days later we didn't get any better, besides I remembered that there used to be a conflict situation between me and the doctor, so I changed the clinic.

In the other clinic, the vet changed our diagnosis to Idiopathic cystitis (because of stress such as house moving+flight). She cancelled the previous treatment except the herbal one, and added Papaverinum (for 3 days) and Synulox (for 5 days). Following the idea that it's the idiopathic cystitis the vet prescribed Gabapentin (1/4 of a capsule), but after my cat had loss of coordination and panic attack the pills were cancelled. They were going to prescribe another antibiotics, but the doctor did ultrasound and said that there was no need to do this (the ultrasound showed the suspension in his bladder again).
At the same time we got one more urine test result taken from his toilet bowl (3), which again didn't show anything: no saults, almost no white sells, no epithelial cells. The vets are confused, they can't determine the nature of the suspension and also don't know what causes the spasms. Poor cat is able to empty his bladder only after Papaverinum shots, which are incredibly painful and probably cause more stress.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello. What did your vet say about pain medication for your cat?

Would the vet be willing to consult with a university medical veterinary department?

From LTS3 LTS3
Ask your vet to consult with other vets. Most vet schools offer a courtesy consult for vets. This vet hospital does too: Referral Services • MSPCA-Angell VIN.com is a popular vet only forum where vets from all over the world can discuss complicated cases and get advice on how to proceed with treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuomistoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. What did your vet say about pain medication for your cat?

Would the vet be willing to consult with a university medical veterinary department?

From LTS3 LTS3
Ask your vet to consult with other vets. Most vet schools offer a courtesy consult for vets. This vet hospital does too: Referral Services • MSPCA-Angell VIN.com is a popular vet only forum where vets from all over the world can discuss complicated cases and get advice on how to proceed with treatment.

thanks for your response. The vet did prescribe some pain meds and he has been given them. My fiance is with the cat and they are in Russia at the moment. So not sure how they go about things as they would normally here

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you consult a holistic vet about adding marshmallow root decoction (similar to a tea but slowly simmered over low heat instead of steeping) and red raspberry leaf tea? I have used those herbs with my vet's approval. The pain relief is amazing, for kitties and people both.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know anything about what is available in Russia. I know here in the U.S. Amitriptyline is often used when a cat is in a severe episode of cystitis, it is also used as a last resort in controlling chronic cystitis.