Cat In Labour

Karen b72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys. I think my bow is in labour. Been exsessively crying all afternoon and evening. Got a gunky mucus on a noonie.. just a quick question as reading other posts. If she doesn't eat the placenta and it's still attached to baby how do I cut it ? Do I just use a bit of cotton to tie is a inch or so down. Thank u

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The early labor stage can be quite long, even 24 hours. In other cats its barely noticeable, so it differs. What we dont want is long active pushing labor without results, sound larm at latest one hour, or even earlierl.

Yes, you can do as you suggest. Or tooth tread. The searing itself of cord or so, may be done nails your own nails. Mommas teeth arent sterile, so as long your hands are clean, its good enough. Or a blunt scissors. Avoid sharp scirrors on a fresh cord, it tends to cause bleedings. Although I presume, with a cord which was uncut a couple of hours, you can use even a sharp scissors...

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Karen b72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
4 beautiful babies born within a hour this morning from 5.30 am... didn't have to touch the cords... mum did really well xx

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you plan to spay mom after this litter? Are you able to keep mom inside and away from all intact males?