Cat in cast

Stevethec4t

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,
First time cat mum.
hes 8 months old and recentlydiscovered he can clinb the fridge but he jumped off and broke his tibula, his fib is still in tact.
Been takin to the vets and has a soft cast on.
my question is when he moves about with the cast on it’s as though he can’t function, he flails about and yells out, I know he’s in pain but how do I make this easier for him?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I am sorry about your little boy and his fall. His cast is a splint and a heavy bandage as opposed to a plaster cast? Were you told to confine him to a small area like a playpen or crate? Is this a walking cast? I would call the vet and let them know that he is in pain and very upset. Some of this is because he is upset about the cast being on, some could be pain from the injury. Is he on painkillers? How long will the cast be on?

Kieka Kieka ? Did one of your cats have a cast?

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
First time cat mum.
hes 8 months old and recentlydiscovered he can clinb the fridge but he jumped off and broke his tibula, his fib is still in tact.
Been takin to the vets and has a soft cast on.
my question is when he moves about with the cast on it’s as though he can’t function, he flails about and yells out, I know he’s in pain but how do I make this easier for him?
Perhaps you should consult your Veterinarian about the pain issue your cat is having. Plus limit kitties movements.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stevethec4t

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I am sorry about your little boy and his fall. His cast is a splint and a heavy bandage as opposed to a plaster cast? Were you told to confine him to a small area like a playpen or crate? Is this a walking cast? I would call the vet and let them know that he is in pain and very upset. Some of this is because he is upset about the cast being on, some could be pain from the injury. Is he on painkillers? How long will the cast be on?

Kieka Kieka ? Did one of your cats have a cast?
mots a heavy bandage he has on so no plaster cast. I’m not sure if it’s a walking cast, he has pain killers but they only seem to work for a short period of time it’s melacom. He’s in a crate the nowand has to stay init for 3 weeks

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Steve, welcome.

When did they put the cast on him? Which leg, front or back? Is he on pain relief? Have you informed your vet yet that he's so unhappy?

My younger one had to have a wonky dew claw removed a couple of years ago on a front foot/leg and a "cast" was placed that went up pretty high. The first day or so she was quite unsteady but as each day passed she got better and better moving around in it to the point that after about a week she even managed to jump up onto a low dresser while I wasn't looking. Totally freaked me out when I saw her up there.

Most likely he will also get used to it and begin to manage moving around. In the interim, perhaps bring his meals to him and keep a litterbox close enough that he doesn't have to struggle too much to travel to it. I would be sure to keep an Ecollar, whether it's the usual looking one or a soft one to make sure he can't get to the cast. My cat started to try to tear at the top of the cast with her teeth even with the collar on and at first did manage to chew off the top causing it to unravel. The cast was redone and they did it more "stiff" than the first one.

Stevethec4t

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Steve, welcome.

When did they put the cast on him? Which leg, front or back? Is he on pain relief? Have you informed your vet yet that he's so unhappy?

My younger one had to have a wonky dew claw removed a couple of years ago on a front foot/leg and a "cast" was placed that went up pretty high. The first day or so she was quite unsteady but as each day passed she got better and better moving around in it to the point that after about a week she even managed to jump up onto a low dresser while I wasn't looking. Totally freaked me out when I saw her up there.

Most likely he will also get used to it and begin to manage moving around. In the interim, perhaps bring his meals to him and keep a litterbox close enough that he doesn't have to struggle too much to travel to it. I would be sure to keep an Ecollar, whether it's the usual looking one or a soft one to make sure he can't get to the cast. My cat started to try to tear at the top of the cast with her teeth even with the collar on and at first did manage to chew off the top causing it to unravel. The cast was redone and they did it more "stiff" than the first one.
I’m not sure if it’s a walking cast, he has pain killers but they only seem to work for a short period of time it’s melacom. He’s in a crate the nowand has to stay init for 3 weeks, it’s when he tries to walk I think is most uncomfortable for him. He’s also not went to the toilet yet

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure if it’s a walking cast, he has pain killers but they only seem to work for a short period of time it’s melacom. He’s in a crate the nowand has to stay init for 3 weeks, it’s when he tries to walk I think is most uncomfortable for him. He’s also not went to the toilet yet

Like. sivyaleah. said you need to contact your Veterinarian and discuss you concerns about your cats condition.

Stevethec4t

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like. sivyaleah. said you need to contact your Veterinarian and discuss you concerns about your cats condition.
I was at the vets 3 times today getting new casts for him. He just keeps flailing about and pulling them off, have tried e collers and everything

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at the vets 3 times today getting new casts for him. He just keeps flailing about and pulling them off, have tried e collers and everything
Did the Veterinarian a "Cone" around kitties head? That would restrict him from pulling off casts, collars, e t c.

Stevethec4t

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did the Veterinarian a "Cone" around kitties head? That would restrict him from pulling off casts, collars, e t c.
Yeaa they did, but it never worked either. He is very distressed about it all, which I understand so I’m going back tomorrow to have it redone again.. and ask for calming solutions 😓

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeaa they did, but it never worked either. He is very distressed about it all, which I understand so I’m going back tomorrow to have it redone again.. and ask for calming solutions 😓
Maybe once you get kitty straightened out. Perhaps you should consider some pet insurance. Those multiple Veterinarian visits do add up money wise.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeaa they did, but it never worked either. He is very distressed about it all, which I understand so I’m going back tomorrow to have it redone again.. and ask for calming solutions .

Stevethec4t

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are back at vets today, another sedation to get a new cast! And they’ve put it around his abdomen. I also got something to relax him till he gets used to the cast, I. Pray this works as the vet was talkin about amputation which I couldn’t imagine this young 🥲

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Calm down. The more that your exhibit distressed energy, the more that your cat will read it. He probably does need sedation for the first few days; hopefully the new cast will work.

Is the break serious to warrant amputation? Was this mentioned before? Did the vet give you a reason for suggesting it?

If the break is serious enough to consider it, calm down again. If it comes to that, you can get help here. Amputation is not a bad option if it is really necessary and animals definitely adjust. I have a three legged GSD, lost his leg at about 10 years old.

Stevethec4t

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet who said that to me apparently shouldn’t have. The first vet said she was in the wrong, it’s not on the horizon yet.
Also any tips on getting a cat in a cast to use the toilet? His litter is in a shallow box but he’s just struggling so much to get used to the cast that he can’t go 🥺

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Given that this is not a permanent situation for you or your kitty with the cast, I would devise a litter box with no side for the time being. Get a big enough plastic storage container, maybe like those that go under the bed, and cut off one side entirely and then place the litter near the back so that you baby is encouraged to step far enough into the box.

Stevethec4t

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank thou! I did upgrade it to a bigger box etc but we were back at the vets again today, we came to the decision that if he’s not going to keep the cast on then surgery is the only way forward. He’s booked in for Thursday for his op 😓 not stressing so much now he’s not in pain or discomfort from a cast. He’s still cage bound till then so lots of love and cuddles 🥰 thank you btw for all the help

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Keep us posted as to how this all turns out. This is probably a better solution, especially if surgery was always an option.

Stevethec4t

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will! It wasn’t a feesable option to begin with, my partners parents are paying for it as we can’t afford it all in the one.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I certainly understand that! Any higher level veterinary care is very expensive and I am glad that you found a way to pay for this. You might consider pet insurance when you get a chance. I have three insured cats and am about to insure the new one.