cat in a cage

doudounne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am planning on capturing a young feral male in a cage to bring him to the vet as part of a trap-neuter-release program - when all ths Covid stuff quiets down. This means he will have to spend the night in the cage as he only comes late in the evening. My only concern is that he might injure himself trying to get out. I have seen blood on the cage once when I moved a raccoon to another area and even if it was minor, I wouldn't want the cat to go through with this. I have been feeding him for several months and he interacts very well with my female cat who was converted into a house cat 10 years ago. Think this might keep him from over reacting ? Thanks for your time, and stay safe !

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would really suggest you use a humane trap instead of a cage. I have trapped cats at night and placed them in my basement in a covered trap. Some do well and some do not do well. Yet if you keep them in a quiet spot away from people, other animals and loud noises it should be ok. I always leave a soft low light on and play quiet music.

I would not allow your other cat to interact with him right now. It might be very upsetting having one in a cage or trap and the other roaming around.

Also you want to be sure the feral cat has been vaccinated and tested for FELV and FIV if you plan on allowing him to interact with your other cat.

Thank you for helping this sweet boy. You will make his life so much easier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doudounne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would really suggest you use a humane trap instead of a cage. I have trapped cats at night and placed them in my basement in a covered trap. Some do well and some do not do well. Yet if you keep them in a quiet spot away from people, other animals and loud noises it should be ok. I always leave a soft low light on and play quiet music.

I would not allow your other cat to interact with him right now. It might be very upsetting having one in a cage or trap and the other roaming around.

Also you want to be sure the feral cat has been vaccinated and tested for FELV and FIV if you plan on allowing him to interact with your other cat.

Thank you for helping this sweet boy. You will make his life so much easier.
Hi. Thanks. Actually a humane trap is what I have, but I used cage because up here, in French, a 'trappe' has jaws. Since I live alone, it just might do well. Low light and music. Yesss ! The whole idea is to get him to a vet in the first place, have him neutered and then he could be released and I can try to entice him into coming inside in time for winter. Worked on my present female. Appreciate your suggestions. Stay Safe !

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it were me, I wouldn't wait to entice him inside later in the winter. It's so hard to trap them again. If you have the space why not just do it right after the neuter?

doudounne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it were me, I wouldn't wait to entice him inside later in the winter. It's so hard to trap them again. If you have the space why not just do it right after the neuter?
Yo ! Thanks. That's a good idea since it will be a while before we can even get close to a vet's place unless it's a real emergency. Winter will be just around the corner again by then. Sigh. If he has to stay locked up for 3 days to heal like my female cat had to, I'll just use the big dog cage I have. He'll have everything he needs in there. Stay Safe !

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Males usually only require an overnight stay in the trap as they heal very quickly. But when you bring him home after the neuter, why not just have a room ready for him and not release him back outside! This way you can start the socialization process right away.

You are doing great! Hopefully this Covid crisis will ease up and you can get him to the vet.

doudounne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Males usually only require an overnight stay in the trap as they heal very quickly. But when you bring him home after the neuter, why not just have a room ready for him and not release him back outside! This way you can start the socialization process right away.

You are doing great! Hopefully this Covid crisis will ease up and you can get him to the vet.
Yo ! Great blog. Good news about males only having to spend one night in the cage after the neuter. That means they do not overreact and harm themselves. My house is 180 yrs old, and 23 ' by 23' inside, all open. There's one bedroom upstairs and an unheated attic. So this guy will have to make do with being in presence of my female cat, but they get along fine on the gallery anyway. Thanks for your time.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have left cats in a humane trap overnight when needed, covered and in a place where they are safe inside. Usually the covering of the trap, with one side opened for air, calms them right down. I agree that if you can proceed with his adoption now, it is a good idea. They are very hard to retrap....

doudounne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. It"s comforting to know they don't injure themselves in a covered humane trap overnight. Up here in Québec, vets will still be unavailable for a long time except for emergencies. Will most likely wait till fall before TNR program is reactivated. Even if I paid, I could not get an appointment right now. Stay Safe.

doudounne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have left cats in a humane trap overnight when needed, covered and in a place where they are safe inside. Usually the covering of the trap, with one side opened for air, calms them right down. I agree that if you can proceed with his adoption now, it is a good idea. They are very hard to retrap....
Thank you. It"s comforting to know they don't injure themselves in a covered humane trap overnight. Up here in Québec, vets will still be unavailable for a long time except for emergencies. Will most likely wait till fall before TNR program is reactivated. Even if I paid, I could not get an appointment right now. Stay Safe.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You, too. Some vets here are doing spay/neuter and some are not. Any organization that facilitated it is not up and running yet.

I think that other animals who find themselves in a trap react differently than a cat who seems to calm down if covered. When I have accidentally trapped another species it has been different.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to be honest, he still may injure himself, and it can be very bad.

However, this reaction is very rare, especially if you follow the advice others above have given.

But please know that even if he does injure himself, he will heal and you are unquestionably doing the right thing by him - especially if you also intend to give him a safe forever home on top of it, then it will be more than worth it for you both in the end!

Thank you for looking after him!