Cat Hiding In Nest And Is Very Quiet

reine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently adopted a stray female cat and found out only a month into it that she was already pregnant ( pretty sure she was pregnant after we got her as she never had any outside contact thereafter ). Went to the vet for ultrasound and I think we could be expecting 3-4 kitties. This morning I knew she was about to give birth as she was agitated, kept circling around the house, and was noisier than normal. Well into the afternoon, she shot out a kitten like a canon ball. This is both our first time, but I knew I shouldn't intervene as much and just watched her lick the kitty, and eat the placenta. After a while, she took the kitty and hid her at an area in the house that's quite difficult for us to reach. It has been around 3 hrs since she went in there and I haven't heard any noise. Is this quite normal? I want to monitor, but I also don't want to disturb in case she might be doing okay. I wouldn't be able to get a clear view without making such noise and mess of the area. I'm also not sure if she has had more, there really is no noise to indicate such. How long does it usually take? When should I be worried. Thank you so much!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom and kitten are probably just fine. Mom cats who are not as well socialized as a cat you've raised yourself tend to follow their instincts to hide.

Where exactly is she?

I would leave her be for a couple of days. Put her food, water, and litter nearby for easy access.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She went inside our small closet cluttered with lots of unused stuff. Quite dusty over there, but really dark and quiet. I can't make out anything from my view. She doesn't usually go there the past few days so I didn't think she would use it as a nest, I set up comfy beds some place else.

Update: She has come out (after about 5 hrs) to drink lots of water, clean herself, and eat some food. I don't think I want to disturb the litter (but I'm not sure how many she's had, I really hear nothing, and can't see from here). Her belly's quite loose already, could she have had all?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is probably done. It's good she came out to eat and drink.

Give it a few days. Mom knows what she's doing! :)

reine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello thank you so much. Everything seems well, and she gave birth to four lovely little kittens! She has been keeping the kittens in secluded areas but has placed them out in the open the other day, and I can watch them freely now. I can see three of the litter starting to be active and they look really healthy. One of them, however, is quite smaller than the rest, and seems blind. I can see everyone with black round eyes, and they tend to watch me when I'm around. This one doesn't seem to be noticing me. Is this normal for some? Should I wait for a few more weeks?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This kitten may need to be supplemented. Can you weigh them daily? Can you post a photo of the runt?

reine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten is the one on the right most side. I'll try to get a better photo when I get home later. Okay, will try to weigh them daily.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old are they exactly? Opening eyes is in part individual, but it MAY be a vet errand. I agree with you, this kitten looks different from the others whom are apparently healthy, even on the lean side (surely after momma).

And yes, most common with runts, is they need supplementing... So a "wait" is not a few weeks, but at most a couple of days. Start weighting asap, esp on the runt, so you see if he adds at all...

reine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are exactly 24 days old now. Okay thank you, I will bring them to the vet this weekend and keep you posted.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Day 24 I think all shall have eyes open. So its something going on, a vet errand.

A not uncommon reason for not opening eyes, is they have pus inside, and the pus is glueing the eyes. Does she seem to have pus? Or pus-pockets around the eyes?? If so, its really emergency visit, not just a controll in a week.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! This kitten may need meds to clear pus as Stefan said.

It also may need supplemental feedings with formula, as Talking Peanut mentioned.

At 3 weeks this kitten should weigh 10-12 ounces.

Please see a vet ASAP about the eyes!