Cat hearing

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there a good way to find out how much a cat can hear in one ear, at home, without compensating with the other ear?

I'm worrying that Tigger has little to no hearing in her left ear, she's not reacting to normal sounds when they happen on her left side

I *think* she's reacting to the movement from me on her left side, instead of actual sound, cause she looks when she sees in her peripheral vision, movement, but when her eyes are completely shut and she doesn't see movement, she's not moving her left ear towards sound, although she is moving her right ear

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - reading your post, it seems as though you have a pretty good measure already. I don't know of a safe or reliable way, maybe your vet can help with this.

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There really isn’t, as far as I know. Super hard with cats because they pick up on very tiny vibrations. Does the cat have a blue eye on that ear? White cat? A vet could look deep down the ear canal with a special otoscope and small cone to check the ear drum and make sure it is intact and not ruptured or full of debris. Has any medication been used in that ear, ever? I am not recommending you put anything in the cats ear, just asking because certain medications can cause drafting cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There really isn’t, as far as I know. Super hard with cats because they pick up on very tiny vibrations. Does the cat have a blue eye on that ear? White cat? A vet could look deep down the ear canal with a special otoscope and small cone to check the ear drum and make sure it is intact and not ruptured or full of debris. Has any medication been used in that ear, ever? I am not recommending you put anything in the cats ear, just asking because certain medications can cause drafting cats.
She's tabby, she doesnt have blue eyes, she's got greeny-yellow eyes in both eyes

Years ago she did have medication from the vet down both ears (for ear mites)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe you should just treat her as if her hearing is compromised, and make sure you approach her from the front, or her 'hearing' side, so she always knows you are there. No one seems to think my cat's hearing is diminished, but there are times I would tend to disagree with them. So, I always make sure that I don't touch her before getting her attention. If I touch her body without getting her attention first, she jumps a mile.

The thing is even if there was a surefire way to determine if she has hearing loss, I don't think there is much that could be done about it anyway.

Nonetheless, as mentioned above, it is something you could at least discuss with your vet.