Cat Health Emergency Kit

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone care to share their emergency health kit for their cat?

My baby girl, LiLi, mostly stopped eating due to nausea, stress and maybe even the cerenia she started taking, which resulted in us panicking to find something to help her make it through the long weekend so we can take her to the vet. We cannot afford the emergency vet, which is heartbreaking.

Thankfully I had already ordered slippery elm bark powder. But I realized I didn’t have feeding syringes or anything else necessary for an emergency and would like to put together as much as I can in case something happens in the future.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cat First Aid: Essential Supplies and Basic Procedures | Bond Vet
This site, which I believe are emergency vets located in NYC, is the closest I can find to suggestions for a kit, along with some instructions. Most sites are focused on natural disaster emergencies, therefore evacuation and identification of the pet.

In a major emergency, you would have to be fairly skilled to do some of this safely, but there are some good suggestions for wound care which, for example, might prevent the trip to the cat ER.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My first aid kit basicaly. You can temporarly splint a limb with bandages and a peice of wood for example.

A torquenet (strap of fabric to stop bleeding) or improve bandage can be made from a torn t shirt. Ive actualy done this before too. Some stuff you learn in Guides is really useful even if you aren't camping or stranded in the wilderness.

Keep in mind, the torquenet is not a substitute for a nurse/vet. It is just temporary until you can recieve medical attention. It is meant to stop bleeding until you get help only.