Cat having black stool

Cassj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 year old, otherwise very healthy male cat has been having dark stools. They are formed and not tarry at all. Sometimes the stool is brown with black areas and other times it's just black. My cat eats tiki cat wet food. Could this be due to my cats diet? Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cassj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is also no smell to the stool

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your cat's stool is not tarry, the odds are something in the food is affecting the coloring, especially if you are not seeing any other issues with him. Assuming he eats different food - with different coloring - watch and see if the black is not always there, and you might just have your answer. It's odd that his stool has no odor - most poop does have a smell to it, even if it isn't necessarily 'strong'.

If you continue to see it, ask your vet if they will accept a sample for testing. You can collect it directly from the litter box - litter and all - bag it and take it to them and they can pretty quickly check to see if they find blood. If you can't take it right away to the vet, then keep it in the refrigerator until you can. It will stay good for sampling purposes for many hours that way.