Cat Having A Hard Time With Deworming

Ginnyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These are my first cats, and my first time dealing with a sick pet on my own. I’m just going to say everything and any advice for any of it would be appreciated.

My 6 year old cat Louie had been having increasingly worse diarrhea (and missing the litter box too) for a couple weeks when we took him in the first time. The vet did tests and didn’t find any parasites so she gave us probiotics and prescription food and sent us home. The food and probiotics seemed to work but a month after we ran out he was getting bad again so we took him back. Again she did tests (fecal and blood) and didn’t find anything but was convinced it was worms. Since we didn’t know what kind and his diarrhea was basically liquid at this point, we started him on a bunch of meds at once. Metronidazole (antibiotic) and droncit in pill form, Albon and panacure as liquids, plus probiotics to sprinkle on his food. Both he and his brother were on the Albon, panacure, and droncit, though his brother doesn’t have any symptoms.

This was 8 days ago and it’s been a struggle every day. His medicine intake has been inconsistent, at first because he kept throwing it all back up as soon as we were done. We tried spacing it out so he wouldn’t lose it all but the liquids he always threw up. The vet gave us Albon in pill form and told us to stop the panacure (until I call them today). Both cats quickly lost their appetite so the probiotics have been hit or miss too. His brother Dougie didn’t eat at all for two days so the vet suggested we take him off everything until he eats again. Thankfully he ate a can yesterday and some mouthfuls today, he gets excited when I get his food out but then sniffs it and eats like it’s a chore. Louie ate a full can 2 days ago, a few mouthfuls yesterday, and seems uninterested this morning. They normally eat 3 cans a day.

I should say that Louie has always had some problems and it’s hard to tell sometimes when he’s acting strange if it’s one of his “quirks” or if it’s a real issue. When he was a kitten he shook so hard and had bad balance so he couldn’t walk. He’s been blind since we got him and is very sensitive about being touched. The rescue we got him from said he may have had nerve damage from someone trying to cure him of fleas with too strong a dose, but that’s just a guess. He’s always been a little anxious.

Now when we give him the meds he seems to have little kitty anxiety attacks afterwards. He reverts back to being unable to walk (it’s like he doesn’t know where the ground is), sits down and shakes, cries, drools, pants, and hisses for several minutes. It’s scary and sad for us to watch.

For the last 4 days he had been getting just the Albon, antibiotic, and occasionally the probiotic. He went from having very loose diarrhea to small pebble like stools that he left in single pieces around the house. I think he’s probably pooping less because he’s eating less but I don’t know about the texture change. He’s drinking water fine.

2 nights ago he left one of those pebbles in my sisters bathroom and seemed to be feeling really bad so she picked him up and put him on her bed. Suddenly he pooped another one out, followed by more blood than I’d ever seen in one place before. It was enough to create a stain the size of him, and it soaked through her top blanket, her quilt, the sheets down through her mattress pad and into her mattress. We took him to an emergency vet since it was the middle of the night. That vet said that they sometimes poop blood during deworming (my first vet didn’t warn me about that!) but that his infection must have been really bad because he’d lost a lot and was very pale and dehydrated. He gave him and IV drip for a few minutes and sent us home with an antacid to add to the regimin.

Ever since then we’ve been keeping him in my bathtub with the blankets he’d already ruined (we cleaned them first of course). He doesn’t try to get out. He poops little slimy bloody poops while laying down and doesn’t try to move away from them, so I’ve been checking for them and cleaning each blanket on rotation. I tried to take him out and put him on the floor to feed him but he couldn’t stand up because of his balance. He laid on his side and cried, and then had another anxiety attack when I put him back in the tub. He hasn’t peed in over two days now, even though he drank plenty yesterday.

Right now he’s curled up in the bathtub hiding his head. He’s breathing pretty heavily and starts whimpering every few minutes. Every 10 minutes or so he cries really loudly and pants. He’s drooling a LOT. I’ve got his food and water in there but he’s not interested. At this moment he’s laying on his side whining and breathing hard with his head resting heavily. I’m dreading giving him his medicine in an hour.

The vet is supposed to call me today, though I’ll probably call them first. I don’t know if he’s just a very dramatic cat, if the deworming process is normally this complicated, or if something else is going on. It’s hard to get it all across to the vet tech over the phone. Has anyone else had experiences like this?

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Louie sounds like a very sick cat. Please take him to the vet now. He may be dehydrated again and may need an IV instead of just SQ fluids. Maybe this is all due to the deworming or maybe he has something else going on, but he needs to be seen.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry I think this is beyond what we can help you with. He sounds like he is in extremely bad shape. He needs fluids and a vet asap as mentioned above. Good luck and keep us posted.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that he needs to go to the vet as soon as you can get him there. It sounds like he has some serious problems. Do keep us updated, i will worry about him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ginnyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys thank you for your responses but unfortunately he didnt make it. We took him to the vet and shortly after getting there he stopped breathing and couldn’t be revived. Even though this is late now I figured I should update this because of the strangeness of his death, I found only two other stories like mine on the internet (one older dog with previous health issues, and one kitten) but they sounded very similar to mine. They gave them a dewormer, they had bad reactions that worsened over a few days until they went sharply downhill within a couple hours and ended with whining and panting until they stopped breathing. The vet said he was very pale when we brought him in too.

The vet also claimed that it couldn’t have been the dewormers, but since he only started getting seriously sick when we started giving them to him in pill form (which he didn’t throw up) I don’t see what else it could have been. My bet is that either his liver wasn’t fully functional, since he was the runt of his litter and sickly to begin with, or there’s some rare allergic reaction that’s possible.

Since it’s been a few weeks now I’m still feeling sad but much less devastated and guilty. His brother, who was his litter mate, was inseparable from him and is still a little depressed, and has become extremely clingy. Since they were always together before, I don’t think he knows how to be alone. Maybe after this is all fades I’ll think about getting him a friend, but I doubt it because he’s pretty picky about who he likes.

This week we took his brother, who has been constipated this whole time but has obviously not been the focus of our attention, to a new vet who gave us catlax. It’s been working, though not as fast as I thought it would. We’re going to take him back later this month for a scheduled vaccination and if he’s still constipated then I’ll ask the vet about testing if he has worms. The thing is, we never actually knew whether or not the first cat even had worms to begin with, but if he did the his brother probably has them too.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry about the loss of your kitten! Its always a hard thing. I hope the other one will do better, and a friend at some time may be a very good idea.

I would check about the worms. I think almost all kittens have them, in my experience anyway. Sending you guys best wishes! :heartshape: