Cat hasn't returned to normal after routine vet exam

redgale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two weeks ago I took my two indoor 11-year-old cats, Sidney and Claire, to the vet for their annual exam, senior bloodwork, and urinalysis. Everything came back healthy. They were happy, energetic, normal weight, with good appetites. They have eaten Merrick Purrfect Bistro canned food for years.

Two days after the vet visit, Claire started acting unwell (reduced appetite, showing signs of pain, squinting, not interested in normal activities, sleeping more than usual). These symptoms would improve then come back randomly over the next several days. I took Claire back to the vet for an urgent care visit and they found nothing wrong with her, so we assumed they caught a virus while at the clinic.

Sidney also developed the same symptoms a couple days after Claire, only he refused to eat entirely and acted nauseous. We syringe fed him one day. The vet prescribed Cerenia and Mirtazapine. The Mirtazapine made him eat, but it also made him really depressed and restless, so we only gave it to him twice.

Over the course of a week, both cats improved and seemed happy again, but neither were eating the same amount as prior to being sick. They no longer wanted to eat the Merrick canned food that they previously enjoyed. I was so worried that reduced calories over a week would cause fatty liver problems, so I tried every other brand of canned food I could find, high quality and low quality. They hated most of them. They tolerated Fancy Feast pate somewhat.

Finally, I broke down on Saturday and bought some dry kibble from the grocery store, Purina ONE Sensitive Stomach, and they both loved it. Finally they were getting sufficient calories and their energy levels returned and I was so relieved. Claire returned to normal and even started voluntarily eating the Merrick canned food again. I know I shouldn't have changed their diet so suddenly, but it felt important to get them eating enough calories.

Then yesterday, Tuesday, Sidney got diarrhea. Four times. Liquid diarrhea. He vomited up the dry food he had for lunch. He has acted nauseated ever since. I gave him Cerenia. He shows interest in food, but will only eat a bite or two. He drinks water just fine. No diarrhea or vomiting today (Wednesday). So far today he has eaten about 65 calories, and I can probably get him to eat another 60 this evening. He acts fairly normal otherwise and played with his toy a bit and he's napping now, but I'm so worried he's not getting enough calories! 120 calories isn't much for a 12 lb cat, right? Is this fatty liver danger zone??? This is what keeps me awake at night.

(Monday he had 240 to 260 calories because he was eating the dry food, but I can't give him the dry food anymore due to the diarrhea reaction.)

The vet has been of minimal help. They are so swamped with clients, you can't talk to them on the phone and you can't even get an appointment until September. You can ask for an urgent care appointment, and if they agree, you have to drop your cat off and wait 3-6 hours for him to be seen. All vets in our area are incredibly busy due to the pandemic and most aren't accepting new clients because of this, so please don't just say "take him to another vet." It's not as easy as that.

My cats will NOT eat the recommended bland diet of chicken and rice, even on their best days. They are incredibly picky in general, and this illness has made them 10x more picky. I've also tried tuna, Fortaflora, and meat baby food and they aren't interested at all. They will sometimes eat Temptation Treats.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am wondering if this is coincidental to the vet visit and not related to it at all. Are your cats vaccinated? You mentioned that they might have picked up something at the vet's. Another question...were they given vaccines at the appointment?

Changing their diet to the Purina was something that you did to encourage them to eat. Claire is fine now, but Sydney is still having issues. He was eating yesterday, as I think I am reading correctly. It is possible that despite the fact that he liked the new food, it did not agree with him. Any food allergy type issues which might involve one of the ingredients and not just the fact that you changed his food?

I would not give this much longer as even the 120 calories is low for a 12 pound neutered ( I assume) male. For me, this is going two ways. Since both cats were initially sick, it does seem related to the vet visit and having contracted something. In that case, Claire shook it off it off after the second vet visit, but Sydney has not been so lucky. However, as I said in the beginning, if this is all coincidental, if Sydney has a more serious case of something, if he has something entirely different that presents in the same way, he needs to go back to the vet.....unless, like Claire, he suddenly makes a big recovery.

Neither my dog nor my cat vet have appointments where the owner is allowed in. Everyone is dropped off for about 6 hours, even for routine visits.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is nothing wrong with Fancy Feast pate if he will eat that, and you might try topping his food with FortiFlora to help with the diarrhea. FortiFlora usually help one of my cats quite a bit when he has diarrhea from antibiotics. If that doesn't work, I would leave a message at the Vet's office and tell them what's happening. Let them know the Mirtazapine made him restless.

Is he on the heavy side, thin side, or a perfect weight. Fatty Liver is more common is cats who are overweight How did you manage to get the 65 calories into him? If that was with a wet food, perhaps you can find one that is really high in calories. Cans of cat food come in amazingly vast varieties of calories. Or see if he'll lick some Nutri-cal either off your finger or smear it onto his paw and see if he'll clean it off. Since he's eating Temptations, try crushing them and sprinkle them on wet food to tempt him, and keep up with the Cerenia since it may be that he's nauseated still. He is licking his lips when he gets near food? You could also try feeding him several very small meals more often and see if he'll eat even a tablespoon each time.

We have to wait a long time here too at the Vet. Drop off and then wait for the phone call. I think that's pretty standard everywhere at the moment :frown:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redgale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if this is coincidental to the vet visit and not related to it at all. Are your cats vaccinated? You mentioned that they might have picked up something at the vet's. Another question...were they given vaccines at the appointment?

Changing their diet to the Purina was something that you did to encourage them to eat. Claire is fine now, but Sydney is still having issues. He was eating yesterday, as I think I am reading correctly. It is possible that despite the fact that he liked the new food, it did not agree with him. Any food allergy type issues which might involve one of the ingredients and not just the fact that you changed his food?

I would not give this much longer as even the 120 calories is low for a 12 pound neutered ( I assume) male. For me, this is going two ways. Since both cats were initially sick, it does seem related to the vet visit and having contracted something. In that case, Claire shook it off it off after the second vet visit, but Sydney has not been so lucky. However, as I said in the beginning, if this is all coincidental, if Sydney has a more serious case of something, if he has something entirely different that presents in the same way, he needs to go back to the vet.....unless, like Claire, he suddenly makes a big recovery.

Neither my dog nor my cat vet have appointments where the owner is allowed in. Everyone is dropped off for about 6 hours, even for routine visits.
Yes, they are vaccinated, but no they didn't receive vaccines during the exam.

I don't know if Sidney has any food allergies, but he's not accustomed to dry food. Claire tolerated it fine, but it seems like something in it really upset his stomach.

He's ate a bit more... up to 90 calories now, and another dose of Cerenia. He was playing with me on the floor. No more vomiting, no more diarrhea. Just not very hungry.

redgale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is nothing wrong with Fancy Feast pate if he will eat that, and you might try topping his food with FortiFlora to help with the diarrhea. FortiFlora usually help one of my cats quite a bit when he has diarrhea from antibiotics. If that doesn't work, I would leave a message at the Vet's office and tell them what's happening. Let them know the Mirtazapine made him restless.

Is he on the heavy side, thin side, or a perfect weight. Fatty Liver is more common is cats who are overweight How did you manage to get the 65 calories into him? If that was with a wet food, perhaps you can find one that is really high in calories. Cans of cat food come in amazingly vast varieties of calories. Or see if he'll lick some Nutri-cal either off your finger or smear it onto his paw and see if he'll clean it off. Since he's eating Temptations, try crushing them and sprinkle them on wet food to tempt him, and keep up with the Cerenia since it may be that he's nauseated still. He is licking his lips when he gets near food? You could also try feeding him several very small meals more often and see if he'll eat even a tablespoon each time.

We have to wait a long time here too at the Vet. Drop off and then wait for the phone call. I think that's pretty standard everywhere at the moment :frown:
I would happily feed them Fancy Feast pate, but they only want a few bites, then they're done. I've already tried Fortiflora.

Sidney is optimal weight, not heavy or thin. The 65 calories (now 90) was just from putting wet food in front of him and encouraging him to eat, and also hand-feeding a few Temptation Treats. He's been up playing this afternoon, but still looks at the food bowls like they're out to get him.

I'll message the vet and see what they say.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Will he eat any of the treats (soft food type) like Hartz Delectables, etc. Everyone is making them now.

redgale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Both my cats ended up eating more than I expected yesterday -- 200 calories each! This is still a bit under the usual 240, but I definitely think it's a good sign and probably not a danger zone for fatty liver. Today they have both consumed 100 calories before noon, so I feel confident that we'll hit 200+ today too. It helped that I found a canned food that Sidney likes (Beyond grain-free fish flavors). He actually approachs the food plate on his own now, instead of avoiding it.

They are both acting very normal today.

I left a message with the vet yesterday, but so far no response. Like I said before, they are too busy to be of much help with questions. As it is, I'm not sure an urgent care visit is needed, but I'm keeping a very close eye on them.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for posting....hopefully both of them have turned the corner and will completely recover.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that's great news that they are eating better now.