Cat hasn't pooped in 2 days?

catluvr415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, everyone. My cat, who usually poops once a day, hasn't pooped in 2 days. He seems to be fine -- he's eating normally, he's drinking water, and he's playing. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? When should I take him to see the vet? Thanks in advance!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In the meantime, since it IS the weekend, you could try giving him some plain pumpkin and see if that helps him. It's great fiber, even for cats. Try mixing a total of 1 tablespoon into his food, divided between all his meals. (so if you feed three meals, that would be 1 teaspoon per meal)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catluvr415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, everyone! Thank you so much for your advice. A quick update -- Lenny just pooped this morning! The poop looks normal, and he's acting normal, too. I didn't give him any laxatives, or anything, and the issue seems to have resolved itself. I'll see if his pooping goes back to normal in the next couple days and decide then whether I should bring him in to see the vet. Is this a good idea?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness for that! I’d definitely do what you’re thinking, monitor him and go from there. Maybe ring the vet to see what they think. Sometimes cats will have a one-off episode of not pooing for a couple of days, but it’s always something to monitor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catluvr415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank goodness for that! I’d definitely do what you’re thinking, monitor him and go from there. Maybe ring the vet to see what they think. Sometimes cats will have a one-off episode of not pooing for a couple of days, but it’s always something to monitor.
I know! I'd been freaking out. Thanks so much for your responses!

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone. My cat, who usually poops once a day, hasn't pooped in 2 days. He seems to be fine -- he's eating normally, he's drinking water, and he's playing. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? When should I take him to see the vet? Thanks in advance!
Have there been any recent significant changes to the cat's environment?

Back when I had my cat in toilet training (which I will never make him do again), it was normal for him to poop once a day every other day (so not pooping at all for over a day) and his poops would be, most of the time, rock hard. Why? Because he hated going in the toilet and he would wait as long as possible before doing what was the hardest thing for him to do on the toilet- poop.

Your cat could be revolting against a change in his environment due to stress.

Another thing you might try is adding additional water to his wet food. (If you're feeding him any dry food, I recommend stopping this immediately.) Also, try a couple small pinches of slippery elm and stir it into his wet food. Slippery elm is great for both firming up loose stools and softening hard ones.