Cat Hasn't Pooped After Spay

finallysober

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm new here so I'm sorry if I'm posting this on the wrong forum.

My two cats got spayed on Monday (October 9) and were fasted 11 hours before the spay. When I picked them up from the vet, they told me they were peeing already - which is a good sign. I took them home that same day and noticed both of them peeing that day at home as well.

The younger cat (1.5 yo) finally pooped last night (Oct 10), but the older cat (2 yo) still hasn't pooped. They are both eating wet food and peeing. When should I be concerned about my older cat not pooping? It's now been 48 hours since the spay.

As for behavior, the two cats haven't been running or jumping around (except on the bed) since I removed all the cabinets inside my room. Still, they have no problems walking or going to the litterbox. They're just resting for now.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did they give them any pain medication? If so, what is the name of the medication,

I would call your vet in the morning if the one still hasn't had a bm. I wouldn't be concerned yet, but the vet may want to have you pick up something from them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

finallysober

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did they give them any pain medication? If so, what is the name of the medication,

I would call your vet in the morning if the one still hasn't had a bm. I wouldn't be concerned yet, but the vet may want to have you pick up something from them.
Yes, they gave both of them pain meds, an anesthetic, and I think another gas anesthetic during surgery. I also opted to get them the antibiotics that are apparently good for a week.
I don't know the name of the pain meds or the anesthetics, but the antibiotics are listed as Convenia on my receipt.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Okay. If they don't have you giving anything to them now, they probably used a medication called Buprenorphine in either the long-acting injection, or the long-acting transdermal form. It is a good pain medication but can cause constipation in some cats. So, I would still call them in the morning and see if they recommend you do anything about it or wait another day.

finallysober

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay. If they don't have you giving anything to them now, they probably used a medication called Buprenorphine in either the long-acting injection, or the long-acting transdermal form. It is a good pain medication but can cause constipation in some cats. So, I would still call them in the morning and see if they recommend you do anything about it or wait another day.
I do remember them giving the older cat an intermuscular injection. She's been a feisty kitty ever since I got her and only trusts me. It was basically a "My Cat From Hell" episode at the vet pre-op since we needed all 5 dudes to hold her down.

Thank you for the replies, you've been helpful in alleviating my anxiety through this!

finallysober

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: After calling the vet, the catto finally pooped.

I think she heard that we were coming back to the vet tomorrow if she didn't poop.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are better ways to deal with a frightened cat. I am sorry your cat and you went through this. It is a very long read but worth it. There is no reason for anyone to handle a cat like that.

Jackson Galaxy, while he knew better, did get bit most episodes for ratings. He has done allot of good in the cat world. But it was sad to see him corner cats just to get scratched or bit to make the show more interesting to people watching.

[/QUOTE]

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anesthesia slows all the systems down for a while, so that is not uncommon. I'm glad to hear she is back on track. if tehy seem to have trouble again, call your vet and ask if you can give 1/8th to 1/4th teaspoon human miralax, mixed in a liquid-based treat. it works very well. Thank you so much for spaying them, it gives them a longer more healthy life!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not having eaten anything for so long, plus anesthesia, plus pain meds all slow down the poop system. Because there's not been any food going in, there's nothing to come out. Anesthesia and pain meds can also make the digestive tract slow to move until the meds are worked out of the system.