Cat has PAC's and will go on heart medicine soon, needs advice

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin is about 14 years old and has a hx of bowel issues. He's been on Laxatone, Miralax for constipation and an antacid for several years and lately he's been steadily losing weight. So, during last year's checkup his vet suggested I take him to get his heart checked. I couldn't do this at her office because she doesn't have the equipment to run these tests.[

The reason it's taken a year to get this done is I've had numerous trips to the ER myself (mostly panic attacks) and other health issues i have to take care of, including my own cardiac workup whenever I get my insurance straightened out. And, I had to apply for a special wheelchair bus to take him to get his heart checked. My doctor took months to work on that paperwork, I could scream.[

Anyway, Pumpkin finally had his echo and an EKG. He passed the echo but I had to return to the vet that does heart tests last week to redo the ekg. There was so much artefact (he probably squirmed too much) for the cardiologist to read the test. The vet who does this test is not a cardio doc but he send out the rests to be read by a pet cardio.

Pumpkin has PAC's and will have to take medicine for it. The doctor who did these tests will call Pumpkin's regular vet to go over what needs to be done and they will come up with a treatment plan for my baby but I am concerned. I did mention I am worried about the cost because I am on a fixed income. Covering the medicine shouldn't be a problem but they want him to get another EKG in a few weeks to make sure this medicine is working, which is understandable.

I felt horrible about mentioning the cost because I will do anything to keep my baby going but money doesn't grow on trees and I already spent over $500 for those two tests. This vet was very kind and waived the office visit fee. He's a sweetheart and understands that transportation is an issue for me, with my being in a wheelchair with no car.

I don't know the name of the drug they will give him. Being on a bunch of medications myself I know that staying on a strict schedule for him with heart medicine has me worried. What if I mess up?

What if I end up in the hospital myself? i need this hernia fixed but have to go through a bunch of tests myself first. There's a home health aide that works in my apartment building and her mother lives here, so she's here practically every day. I spoke with her awhile back about her taking care of Pumpkin should I have to go to hospital but that was before I found out he has PAC's.

I could use advice on how to proceed. My situation is complicated because of my own health issues and I want to do what's best for him.

Thank you!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How difficult is it to administer medication to the cat? There may be options of disguising it in food, pill pockets, or treats. It sounds as if what you are mostly worried about is the medication? Definitely talk to the health aide and your vet to see what solutions you can come up with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How difficult is it to administer medication to the cat? There may be options of disguising it in food, pill pockets, or treats. It sounds as if what you are mostly worried about is the medication? Definitely talk to the health aide and your vet to see what solutions you can come up with.
Sometimes he's reluctant to take his tummy medicine. I have no idea how he'll react to this. If this medication is in pill form and can be crushed, I can mix it with his laxatone. If not, I can put it in Greenies, provided he will eat that!

Pumpkin has a discriminating palate. Sometimes he will like something one day and not touch it the next.