Cat has little appetite after giving birth

AzemeowowOhnO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baby cat gave birth two days ago and this is her third litter. It's not like she doesn't have an appetite at all but she just doesn't eat as much as she used to. During the first delivery, she ate a lot so I'm worried about why she isnt eating enough and if I should contact a vet about it.
She loves boiled eggs so whenever I give her that, she would eat it. Other than that she loves rice with fish but she doesnt eat that enough. Should I bring in any other sort of food? Would it disrupt her digestive?

Also about the kittens, there are 6 tiny rats and she feeds them and all but she doesn't lick them. I have another cat who absolutely loves kittens and so she's the one who licks the kittens. When it comes to feeding them the mama cat ain't ignoring it at all.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome to the site!

Do you have any Kitten Milk Replacer (KMR) on hand? Make some up and give that to mama. I think I'd hold off on much quantity of egg just now, maybe a little. Do you have kibble that you could moisten with the KMR?

If she doesn't start to eat more you may want to consider contacting a vet since she needs a lot of nutrition in order to support herself properly as well as those kittens. Are you weighing them? That's the only to determine if they're doing ok.

Are you going to get her spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AzemeowowOhnO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome to the site!

Do you have any Kitten Milk Replacer (KMR) on hand? Make some up and give that to mama. I think I'd hold off on much quantity of egg just now, maybe a little. Do you have kibble that you could moisten with the KMR?

If she doesn't start to eat more you may want to consider contacting a vet since she needs a lot of nutrition in order to support herself properly as well as those kittens. Are you weighing them? That's the only to determine if they're doing ok.

Are you going to get her spayed?
I'm afraid I don't have any of those with me
I was watching her and it seems like she's been eating rice although very little. Is too much egg bad for her? I only give her one boiled egg every morning but if it's bad I'll try to reduce it.
I haven't weighed the kittens but from just looking at them they seem plump and vigorous. Although mama cat wasn't cleaning them they would poop on their own. And now that the other cat cleans them up pretty well so I'd like to think they're doing very well right now.

oh man, I thought about getting her spayed. I'm only afraid to do it because I heard it can cause a behavior change. And she's a free cat who can roam wherever she wants (hence the pregnancies) and since there are so many stray dogs here I'm afraid of her being unable to run away if it becomes a side effect of being spayed ;-;

Thank you so much for the welcome and the reply <33 I'm glad I found this site because google doesn't always answer my questions mildly and always has to make it into a surgery requiring symptoms.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My mom had a siamese who had a couple of litters, then got spayed, and was able to hold her own against our inside dog who loved her but she didn't love her back, and the outside dogs who unfortunately liked to try to chase her. She got tough and smacked one right on the nose - they quit chasing her :)

It didn't seem to create a behavior change for her other than she was healthier I think (having babies can be hard on a body).

This article says that eggs are good for cats, but in small amounts;
Can Cats Eat Eggs?.

Do you have any of the ingredients where you could make one of these recipes - the glop can be good for a mama cat - ?

Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How long has it been since the previous litter? What happened to those kittens?

You call her your “baby” cat - how old is she? Back to back litters are hazardous to mom’s health and being unspayed can lead to uterine and mammary cancer. Most spayed cats will happily stop “roaming wherever they want” and even more happily become satisfied house cats. Also, the act of mating is extremely painful for female cats as the adult male penis has sharp barbs on it.

If your cat ate all 6 placentas, she is likely not very hungry yet. She is also likely exhausted, and that is why she is not cleaning her kittens. She should begin eating again when she is hungry. If she does not, she’ll need to see a vet for possible infection.

Leave kitten chow and water down for mom. She may prefer that to eggs, fish, and rice and it is specially formulated with all the vitamins and minerals that pregnant and lactating cats need.

This is a pro-spay and neuter site, so I encourage you to spay mom in about 8 weeks and to keep her 100% inside and away from intact males until she is spayed. Let this be her last litter.

AzemeowowOhnO AzemeowowOhnO

Last edited:

AzemeowowOhnO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom had a siamese who had a couple of litters, then got spayed, and was able to hold her own against our inside dog who loved her but she didn't love her back, and the outside dogs who unfortunately liked to try to chase her. She got tough and smacked one right on the nose - they quit chasing her :)

It didn't seem to create a behavior change for her other than she was healthier I think (having babies can be hard on a body).

This article says that eggs are good for cats, but in small amounts;
Can Cats Eat Eggs?.

Do you have any of the ingredients where you could make one of these recipes - the glop can be good for a mama cat - ?

Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines.
Is that so?? If that's the case then I'll see if she can be spayed. It'll be good if she becomes healthier.
I don't recognize some of the ingredients but I'll try to make it work!
Thank you so much!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Spaying will not stop her from being able to run from the stray dogs if that becomes necessary.

Without going into details, I lost one feral mother (who remained untrappable even when I brought in a professional) and her litter when she had what was probably her fourth or fifth litter in a row.

AzemeowowOhnO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long has it been since the previous litter? What happened to those kittens?

You call her your “baby” cat - how old is she? Back to back litters are hazardous to mom’s health and being unspayed can lead to uterine and mammary cancer. Most spayed cats will happily stop “roaming wherever they want” and even more happily become satisfied house cats. Also, the act of mating is extremely painful for female cats as the adult male penis has sharp barbs on it.

If your cat ate all 6 placentas, she is likely not very hungry yet. She is also likely exhausted, and that is why she is not cleaning her kittens. She should begin eating again when she is hungry. If she does not, she’ll need to see a vet for possible infection.

Leave kitten chow and water down for mom. She may prefer that to eggs, fish, and rice and it is specially formulated with all the vitamins and minerals that pregnant and lactating cats need.

This is a pro-spay and neuter site, so I encourage you to spay mom in about 8 weeks and to keep her 100% inside and away from intact males until she is spayed. Let this be her last litter.

AzemeowowOhnO AzemeowowOhnO
Mama cat is almost 2 years old right now. The last litter was, I believe last year. Unfortunately, they died due to external factors. If spaying is not going to cause her a behavioral change then I'll definitely consider it. As long as she's happy and playful even after spaying I'd be delighted.
Eating placentas could explain a lot. If that is the case then I'm relieved.
Would suddenly changing to kitten food be okay? When I asked the vet for my second cat they said to avoid it and to continue feeding what I usually fed them in case it causes a digestive problem.

AzemeowowOhnO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Spaying will not stop her from being able to run from the stray dogs if that becomes necessary.

Without going into details, I lost one feral mother (who remained untrappable even when I brought in a professional) and her litter when she had what was probably her fourth or fifth litter in a row.
ayyoo that's my biggest fear,,,
I'm so sorry for your loss.

AzemeowowOhnO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was a great cat, I still miss her to this day :)

Let us know how things go :heartshape:
Are you unable to see her?
yesss, I'm checking on the cats less than every hour. I'm terrified if any kitten gets crushed under mama cat since it happened twice before. But the 6 now are super chipper! I'd love to post a photo once they're all able to walk!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she’s not quite 2 years old, it means this is likely her 3rd litter within about 18 months. That’s too many already! Please go ahead and book her spay appointment for 8 weeks out, and keep the kittens inside until they are also spayed, neutered, and safely rehomed.

Kitten chow should be easy on her tummy. It’s just what she needs to get and stay strong. The kittens will eat it too when they wean. Purina makes an affordable kitten chow.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Purina makes an affordable kitten chow.
Can you get some of this for your mama?

When I asked the vet for my second cat they said to avoid it and to continue feeding what I usually fed them in case it causes a digestive problem.
This is a little different situation, and there's a way to do it and be able to avoid troubles on either end of the cat :) (vomiting or diahrrea)
Introduce the new food slowly in small amounts. Some people suggest putting the new food on the same plate as the old food, but some others don't like that and put the new food in a different bowl or plate but in any case, the beginning amount of the new food would be about 25 % and the old food would be about 75%. If that is eaten without problems, then increase the new food and decrease the old food so it's about half and half and so on, slowly until the cat is eating the new food all the time.

Or, you can introduce new food, and continue feeding the old food as well by doing a rotational sort of thing :)