Cat has gastrointestinal problems with lip smacking and retching/gagging/loud swallowing but no loss of appetite

floubert

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, this forum has been a huge help the last time my cat had health problems, so I'm writing to you again to get your opinion on my situation. Let me start by referring you to my thread from last year Cat was seen by vet, supposed gastritis, had a cerenia injection earlier today, started drooling excessively just now.

In short, our cat had digestive problems with vomiting, loss of appetite, and loss of energy which eventually got better after a couple of days with Cerenia and antacids. She also had a similar episode the year before which resolved itself in pretty much the same way.

Now, for the third time, still with about a year interval between each time, our cat started having gastrointestinal symptoms, with different symptoms, however.

It started Saturday night when I realized that she was smacking her lips a lot and I heard her do some small gagging/stomach contractions. Those can range from visible contractions like you see before they throw up usually, but more frequently, it's just a kind of exaggerated swallowing, I'd say. But everything else seemed fine. On Sunday morning, she ate her morning meal as usual and then went to her usual daily activities, which consisted of napping until the evening. At about 4 pm, I heard her running around, retching and kind of yelling while vomiting very small puddles of clear foamy liquid. After that, the lip-smacking and stomach contractions continued infrequently for the next hours then seemed to stop.

She seemed okay for most of the evening, we gave her some boiled chicken breast to eat in order for her to have something easy to digest. At about 11 pm, she once again did the vomit yell which still resulted in only a very small puddle of clear foamy liquid, then everything calmed down again. At around 3 a.m., I woke up and found her hiding under the couch (it's always been her hiding spot when she's not feeling well), breathing more loudly, with more frequent stomach contractions, gagging, and what seemed like trying to throw up with nothing coming out. It's important to note that even through all of this, she never lost her appetite, if I showed her food between two bouts of retching, she would have eaten it. And, also, she never threw up any food, only clear liquid.

This continued until we managed to call our vet and get an appointment this morning. Then, as usual when we take her to the vet for some health problem, she instantly stops exhibiting this problem. We still did bloodwork, which came back normal, and X-rays, which also came back normal, although they showed that she was gassy and bloated. She didn't show any signs of dehydration, and her stools seemed perfectly fine on the x-ray. The vet told us that there are usually two suspects in this case, either IBD or, even if less probable, intestinal cancer.

Her plan was then to give us gastrointestinal food, to give in small amounts for the next two days, and potentially continue after that if it made her feel better. She also got a shot of Cerenia. She then told us that if things didn't seem to get better after a day, she would give us antacid medication, and if things still didn't get better, we would push things further with ultrasound and other tests.

We then went back home, she seemed fine and we gave her some food, and she went napping. About two hours later, she started her lip-smacking again, looking a bit nauseous, with some gagging again. And, now, she's back to sleeping and seems comfortable.

Now, the first thing that worries me and is different from before is the symptoms. Usually, nausea is associated with a loss of appetite, and an inability to keep food, and that is not what we're seeing here. Her appetite is still strong and her food seems to be passing without much problem. Also, the lip-smacking, swallowing, and retching seem to come and go every couple of hours.

I'm also starting to wonder why we did not get the antacids at the same time. This seems more like the way a human would react with GERD and acid reflux than with nausea and stomach pain, no?

Then, there is also the possibility of intestinal cancer, which I am wondering why vets didn't tell me about the past two times I saw them for similar problems.

I'm mostly asking for your opinion on my situation, and to see if anyone already went through a similar situation. Is it normal to go through a lot of back-and-forth of her symptoms?

I don't have any other questions, but if you have any advice, I'm all ears! Thank you!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I confess that I only went back and perused your previous thread, but I am gathering the primary difference is that she was vomiting food then as opposed to now, along with lethargy at that time too? I think going back to an antacid is worth a try. Vomiting foamy stuff is usually an indicator of acid build up, and for whatever reason, she may be overproducing digestive acids.

IBD and intestinal cancer almost seem to be the 'go to' for vets anymore. Although anything is possible because cats do vary, if it were me, I would not be inclined to jump to this conclusion just yet. Go with the antacids that have made a difference in the past.

The other interesting aspect in your case is the length of time between these bouts. It is a stretch, but is there anything going on that would time with these events? Maybe some sort of yard/house treatment, activity, etc. that might disrupt her from a digestive system perspective?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

floubert

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I confess that I only went back and perused your previous thread, but I am gathering the primary difference is that she was vomiting food then as opposed to now, along with lethargy at that time too? I think going back to an antacid is worth a try. Vomiting foamy stuff is usually an indicator of acid build up, and for whatever reason, she may be overproducing digestive acids.

IBD and intestinal cancer almost seem to be the 'go to' for vets anymore. Although anything is possible because cats do vary, if it were me, I would not be inclined to jump to this conclusion just yet. Go with the antacids that have made a difference in the past.

The other interesting aspect in your case is the length of time between these bouts. It is a stretch, but is there anything going on that would time with these events? Maybe some sort of yard/house treatment, activity, etc. that might disrupt her from a digestive system perspective?
Thanks for taking the time to answer! And no problem, it's a lot to read!

Yes, the main differences are the appetite that does not seem affected and the fact is doesn't seem related with the cycle of digesting her food.

As for IBD and cancer, I tend to agree with you. I was surprised that with a good blood work and nothing out of the ordinary in the x-ray, that it would be either cancer or IBD.

I would not be able to pinpoint a pattern in the cycle if her symptoms. They seem to vary in time and intensity randomly. As of now, she's definitely better than last night, but seems to have less energy than this morning. But I've also read that Cerenia can cause lethargy, so as long as she eats and that the bouts of gagging seem to improve a little bit, I see it as a positive!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All I know is that Cerenia is an anti-nausea med, so it really is not the same as an antacid. The former works to stop the chemical mechanism that provokes vomiting, the latter helps to stop over production of acids. I hope you continue to see improvement, nonetheless.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there anything she can get into in the house? Any plants? Anyone use any topical medication at home? Is she the kind of cat that eats hair ties or does she groom allot? Is she drinking water? What is the current diet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

floubert

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there anything she can get into in the house? Any plants? Anyone use any topical medication at home? Is she the kind of cat that eats hair ties or does she groom allot? Is she drinking water? What is the current diet?
Hey, thanks for replying!

As far as we know, there is nothing she can get into in our house, after the first time two years ago, we cleaned everything, don't have any plants that are dangerous to cats, we stopped using candles, air diffusers, etc. since she is also asthmatic. We clean the floors daily to make sure there is no accumulation of dust.

Also, yes, she drinks her usual amounts of water from what I can see, and the vet told us that she did not seem dehydrated at all! Currently, she eats EN Gastroenteric canned food by Purina given to us by the vet.

As of today, she mostly seems better, but I heard her retching/gagging and when I got to her she had coughed a small greenish, mucus, snot ball. Very similar in colour and consistency to human mucus when we blow our nose during a cold.

It makes me wonder. Is it possible that this is more of a respiratory thing rather than a gastrointestinal problem? No loss of appetite at all, no throwing up food, only weird gagging/retching sounds that only resulted in clear foamy liquid but now resulted in green mucus. And since she did not do it at the vet, she based her opinion on our description of the sound, which we described as "Trying to throw up".

Would the vet have seen something wrong during the x-ray if it was a respiratory infection? Knowing she was specifically looking for something gastrointestinal.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the x-ray was focused on her digestive tract, it probably might not have included her lungs/heart, at least not as clearly as a thoracic x-ray would have. Call the vet and ask if the x-rays included that area - then you will know for sure. The vet should probably be told what you have now seen her cough up anyway.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a kitty who is prone to gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, and we suspect he has IBD. There is no rhyme or reason to his flare ups, though I suspect more stress than normal is a contributing factor. Once upon a time, many years ago, the vet mentioned gastrointestinal lymphoma, but we never pursued testing and he's still alive. We deal with nausea, loose stool, and tossing clear, foamy liquid often.

The nausea can cause the white foamy vomit. My guy usually gets this when it's been too long between feedings. We feed wet food 2x a day and small, snack size servings of dry food 3x a day. These more frequent, smaller meals help keep the vomit away. We also give him an anti-nausea/antacid pill at least once a day, but sometimes twice a day. He is currently on Ondansetron (Zofran) and that has helped tremendously. We have given him plain Pepcid (fomatadine) in the past, but that was not cutting it with this last flare up.

His most recent flare up was diagnosed as Pancreatitis. Has your kitty been tested for pancreatitis? Here's an article my vet gave us. Pancreatitis in Cats One symptom is picky eating, but vomiting is another one. That may be something to consider. Otherwise, I would try adjusting your feeding schedule to see if that helps.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If there was a chest X-ray done and if it was recent, it would show lower airway disease, not usually upper. When resting, does her respirations seem normal?