Cat Has Frequent Bipolar Episodes Of Aggression With No Triggers.

KaitlynBecker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 year old cat has bee lovely for the past 2 years. Happy, playful, very social. About 6 months ago, with no apparent trigger while my husband was scrubbing a dish, she attacked him. (All four claws and bit marks into his leg).

2nd time- He was cleaning a closet.

3rd-6th time- We were putting coats on, eating breakfast, sitting down talking etc.

With each "episode" our cat starts hissing and getting into attack position. We have had long periods of time waiting for her to calm down where we couldn't move. Its ridiculous. Each time, there have been no windows so there's no possibility that she's seen a bird or animal she can't catch. We haven't been around odd smells.

She has handled much more stressful situations with no panic attack. We are unsure what to do, and she gets VERY dangerous during these episodes which make it hard for us to grab her and put her in a room.

HELP! We've given her calming aids (Collars, pills, spray) but these episodes keep happening. We don't want to resort to giving her away. We raised her, and she's very sweet and cuddly otherwise.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something is causing her to go into attack mode, it definitely sounds like redirected aggression, in which something else scares her badly and she takes it out on you. Has your husband just come back from somewhere else in the last half hour or so before the attacks, like taking out the trash? There may be a smell carried in. Is it a certain time of the day, anything special going on at that time like a phone or doorbell ringing in the half hour or so before the attack? Is she at the window or door before? I would observe her closely for a while and try to pin down what is triggering these attacks. It IS something, you just have to figure it out. Watch her carefully, she will become anxious, looking around, her tail or fur may get puffed up, her eye pupils will be dilated. Cats just don't attack for no reason, there is something there. Try to take your coat, clothes off as soon as possible when coming home and see if that helps, it wouldn't be forever, just long enough to see if you are carrying in a smell. Try not to interact with her, stroking, etc. for a while, let HER intiate any physical touching. Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KaitlynBecker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We went to the vet about redirected aggression, but nothing seems to truly fit the bill. We're not finding a lot of commonalities between the attacks. Is it true she could smell something and then 30 minutes later attack, even while during those 30 minutes she is social and friendly? Just seems odd she would remember a fear 30 minutes after it happens. I'm not a cat expert though, but is that common for cats to hold in fear/agression like that for long periods and release it later?

She has watched the dogs across the street and other people from the window and been fine. I've burned candles and other scents since we brought her home as a 3-week old.

Any surefire way to check out stimulants and be sure that "its not that" but it "could be this."? We're not sure how to eliminate anything from the pool of possible triggers.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could take that long to build up, but she would show some kind of symptoms, nervous, hiding. etc. Maybe it was thirty minutes. etc. later that she smelled a scent that frightened her on you, or even the next day if you have the same clothes. I would bet now it is a cat, dog, something she sees out the window, of you live in an apartment it could be something she hears next door, like someone coming home, someone knocking, etc.

LifeWithOliver

AM348
Young Cat
Purraise
After a lot of experience I know when my cat wants to attack me. I have a small rug or towel always ready. I put it around him, wrap him up so he can not bite or scratch and put him in his room until he calms down. Over a period of time this really has calmed him down and decreased his aggressivness by 90%.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KaitlynBecker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
L LifeWithOliver , Is your cat declawed? We're having trouble walking up to her with oven mitts, towels etc. It scares her more. But we're definitely in the search for doing something that DECREASES the episodes. They have been happening frequently and we need to do something that makes her feel safe around us, and no mad/scared of us.

Wrapping your cat calms them down? How old is your cat?