Cat has firm area in tummy post spay

Chingo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
5 month old cat, emergency vet found nothing particularly wrong with her on Friday.

Cat was spayed last Tuesday (8-9 days ago). On Friday I was concerned she was feeling unwell (seemed to be in pain when pet) so I took her to the emergency vet. She got a painkiller shot.

Today I noticed she has a firm mass on her stomach, to the right of her spay incision. The incision was off center on the right too. The area is around the size of a quarter and pretty firm. Does not feel squishy or anything. It's only on her right side, left side feels completely normal. She doesn't seem to be in pain when i touch it. The mass does not move. She is eating, drinking and using the bathroom just fine. Vet prescribed antibiotics 3 days ago when I called due to some seepage and she's been liking the bubblegum flavor very much.

I linked two pictures, it's hard to tell with her fur but I pointed a red arrow at the spay incision and yellow arrow at the firm mass.

Is this something I should be worried about? I called the vet who did the spay surgery and they did not seem concerned, told me it should go away and not to come in. However it looks and is positioned nothing like a seroma.

Attachments

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As long as she’s eating, drinking, and behaving normally and there’s no discharge and the swelling doesn’t increase then I wouldn’t worry. It’s probably the internal sutures reacting with her tissues and will gradually reduce in size as the sutures are absorbed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chingo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As long as she’s eating, drinking, and behaving normally and there’s no discharge and the swelling doesn’t increase then I wouldn’t worry. It’s probably the internal sutures reacting with her tissues and will gradually reduce in size as the sutures are absorbed.
I hope that's exactly what it is. I think I've googled every possible synonym for what she has and can't find a single other person who's cat has a firm spot in such a strange location though. Almost like where the right ovary used to be it's now a grape shaped hard mass.

Thanks for the reply though!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You have been in touch with the vet and the ER and have given her a pain killer and antibiotics, so you are certainly not ignoring this. Given that you have already taken these steps, and that she seems to no longer be in pain and is acting normally, I think that observing her is fine. It certainly could be sutures causing the lump. However, if you see a change in her behavior or condition, or just feel uneasy, go back to the vet or to another one in a different practice. It does sound as if she had a bit of a hard time with the spaying.

Since you have been googling, you probably saw this article that discusses seromas in cats who have been spayed.
Spaying in Cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chingo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have been in touch with the vet and the ER and have given her a pain killer and antibiotics, so you are certainly not ignoring this. Given that you have already taken these steps, and that she seems to no longer be in pain and is acting normally, I think that observing her is fine. It certainly could be sutures causing the lump. However, if you see a change in her behavior or condition, or just feel uneasy, go back to the vet or to another one in a different practice. It does sound as if she had a bit of a hard time with the spaying.

Since you have been googling, you probably saw this article that discusses seromas in cats who have been spayed.
Spaying in Cats.
Thanks for the reply!