Cat has dark spots on nails. Is this fungus or dirt? Should I be concerned?

Tibbind

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new to owning cats, and Sefi has become the most important animal in my life. I could absolutely be just paranoid and overthinking, but I noticed these spots on her claws and I've become concerned it could be something causing her pain or that could hurt her. I am willing to take her to a vet, but I am broke and have no pet insurance or anything of the sort. So if I can avoid spending what little money I do have (I currently have no income) that would be awesome.

The most noticeable is her right "thumb", it has a sort of crust over the quick with the black spot.
Blue is the crust, red arrow points to the black spot.
thumb 1.jpg
thumb 2.jpg
thumb 3.jpg

This is me pulling the hair/skin back a bit, so I don't think there is any swelling but I could be wrong.

Here is an example of her other nails
black spot claw 2.jpg

Her nail is shedding so I believe that bit hanging off is fine, but you can see a similar black spot.

Sefi seems to be healthy in every other way, I don't notice her grooming herself any more than usual, and she's always bit at her nails when grooming herself so I don't think that's a problem.
I attempted to soak her foot and rubbed at the spot with a Qtip but it didn't seem to do anything. I also poked at it with a little metal thing meant for human nails but it didn't seem to do anything. I didn't scrape very hard or push hard because I was afraid of causing her any pain or distress. She's a sweet and patient girl and the last thing I want is her to be in any pain.
I got her in april of 2021, she is up to date on all but her rabies vaccine which just expired. I plan to get her revaccinated as soon as we get to our new home, as I don't have the funds nor the transportation to do it at the current moment. That will only be another month from now so I didn't figure it would be too big of a deal

I love her more than life so I just wanted some cat pro's opinions on if I'm just being silly or if I should take her in

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats have had these. It's part of their skin I believe. Next time you go to the vet mention it and ask, or see what others say on here.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be dirt embedded in the layers of the nail, making it harder for you to remove it. I also wonder if this 'crust' you are seeing is actually part of the shedding process. But because she does go outside you stand a better chance of a fungal issue, from all sorts of outdoor sources. I would just keep an eye out for further issues, including any redness, swelling, and/or sensitivity.

There is a home remedy you could try - Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then gently rub/dab some on those nails with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day.

Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for Sefi to ingest should she do so. This might accomplish just plain getting the 'dirt' out of the nails, but it may also help to keep any fungal type of issue at bay enough for you to wait for your next vet appt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tibbind

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be dirt embedded in the layers of the nail, making it harder for you to remove it. I also wonder if this 'crust' you are seeing is actually part of the shedding process. But because she does go outside you stand a better chance of a fungal issue, from all sorts of outdoor sources. I would just keep an eye out for further issues, including any redness, swelling, and/or sensitivity.

There is a home remedy you could try - Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then gently rub/dab some on those nails with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day.

Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for Sefi to ingest should she do so. This might accomplish just plain getting the 'dirt' out of the nails, but it may also help to keep any fungal type of issue at bay enough for you to wait for your next vet appt.
She is actually strictly an indoor cat, she is never outside. I make sure to provide her with plenty of safe climbing and scratching posts and whatnot. I will try the chamomile trick though, thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tibbind

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats have had these. It's part of their skin I believe. Next time you go to the vet mention it and ask, or see what others say on here.
Thank you, that eases my concerns a little. Another commenter mentioned chamomile so I'm going to try that and see if anything happens