Cat Has Adopted Us!

Rae23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

New to the site and forums and I hope I have posted in the correct section.

We have two cats, one is a three year old neutered boy who we rehomed for a friend about a year ago, the other is a nine month old neutered boy who was a planned addition to the family. The pair get on well, they don't sleep together or groom each other but they love to play and are greet each other in a friendly way (unless the treats are out and then older boy hisses at the kitten who steps back and waits his turn politely).

About two weeks ago, I saw another cat, whom I shall call Visitor, sat outside the back door watching the cat flap. Kitten saw it and rushed out to greet Visitor and they trotted off down the garden together like best mates.

Fast forward to now, Visitor is at our house most days and nights. Kitten and Visitor seem to be inseparable, Older Boy isn't so keen and tolerates Visitor with the odd hiss if Visitor comes too close. Visitor seems friendly towards us too but is still very shy and flighty, to the point I'm not able to tell gender or check over for fleas or injuries. He/she is on the small side and skinner than my two, also a little dirty. Nowhere near as bad as some of the local strays though.

I have advertised on local cat lost and found and also on Facebook to try and trace Visitors owner, with no luck. Sadly I don't live in the best area and there are a high number of strays, never one so bold as Visitor which makes me think he/she may have a home and isn't a long term stray, or on the other hand may have been desperate for shelter, I just don't know.

Now I'd be happy to offer Visitor a home here but at what point do I put him/her through the stress of a vet visit to check for a microchip? Obviously if I can trace the owner I really want to, they may be really worried about their kitty! But if I can't I'd want to flea, worm and arrange neutering if it's needed.

I have owned cats all of my adult life and have never been in this position, we haven't encouraged Visitor but I can't bring myself to chase him/her off incase there is a genuine need for this cat. Obviously Kitten adores Visitor, Older Boy has started spraying so I've ordered a refill for the Feliway we used when we introduced Kitten as I'm conscious he is stressed.

Any advice or thoughts much appreciated!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Older Boy can probably tell that Visitor isn't neutered and this is upsetting him. If you can get him neutered, this should help their relationship. I think it's safe to say he is a stray now, since you advertised and nobody claimed him. Thank you for being so kind to him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rae23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh gosh I couldn't turn away any animal that needed help, I guess it feels good to be the 'chosen' too haha!

I'm going to increase my efforts to track an owner and if Visitor is still here in a week I'll take the plunge and get a vet appointment booked.

Rae23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update - we have a very kind lady from a Facebook cat lost and found page coming to our home at the weekend to scan Visitor for a chip! So we will only need to trap Visitor in the house by blocking the cat flap for a short period and we will have an answer which will enable us to move forward. Very happy right now!

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's awesome that she's coming to you! One of my cats came to us in this way, and the stress of wondering if he belonged to someone else was difficult - especially as we all became attached to him! Luckily, there was no microchip, so after we did our due diligence looking for his owner, we kept him. Hopefully you can get some answers soon. Keep us posted on the progress!

Rae23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Visitor is very beautiful, black and white white markings that makes him look like he has eyeliner on! Plus he 'trills' constantly, a kind of short high pitched purr, he also has a quite haunting 'yeoow' mewling when he can't find my two, like he's in distress at being alone. I dread to think what might have driven him into our home but knowing cats he may well be a spoilt kitty who just likes staying over with feline friends, way too much! Either way, he's welcome here, even if I have had to increase the cat food order haha.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Remember when you were a kid? Everybody likes a sleepover! Sounds like he’s home. Thanks for taking him in.....you may not have needed him but he obviously needed you.

Rae23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's been here full time for a few days now, we know he's here because he is so talkative! He sounds a lot like a Siamese we had years ago. I managed to bribe him with treats last night and he let me pet him for a few minutes, he even rolled over and nuzzled my hand. I had a close look and I believe he is a complete male, same size as Kitten (who is a bit of a fluff ball) but VERY bony, a few scratches on his nose, unkempt coat. I'm really hoping he isn't chipped now or if he is his owner is willing for me to get him neutered and let him stay. Fingers crossed.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all you're doing for this kitty. Not for nothing, but if his previous "owner" didn't bother having him fixed, they're not much of a pet parent. I'd assume he hasn't been vaccinated either. We have 3 formerly feral females as pets now, two of which had kittens when we grabbed them (and their litters). Only the latest feral was TNR'd previously by someone unknown..now she's in my husband's home office getting used to indoor life.
Best of luck with your fluffy Visitor. Keep him!!!!

Rae23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well we have spent all day today and half of yesterday looking out for Visitor but he hasn't been to visit. We have had the water company digging our yard since yesterday morning (major drilling etc) and I suspect he has been scared off by a yard full of burly guys making lots of noise. Either that or he has returned home after his holidays with us!

So we shall remain on standby to trap him in the house for scanning, we still have all day tomorrow for him to return now the work is finished and all is peaceful again.

Rae23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well let's just scratch that last post, Visitor literally just strolled down the staircase into the living room, yawning and stretching.......we never even saw him sneak in! Quite surprised and also relieved, I can't tell you! We both craned our necks to silently watch him, leaned forward off the sofa in sync like loons and then looked at each other in disbelief, not daring to speak haha.

We had checked upstairs quite thoroughly but now think he had squeezed in under a bed in the middle bedroom, motorcycle leathers, snow boards and ski boots must make an ideal safe haven cat maze to hide out and snooze.

Anyhoo, I have ordered the Kerbl Dolomit wall mounted cat tree, smallest size, delivered tomorrow via good ole Amazon, plan to site it next to the window that overlooks the yard. I guess potentially becoming a three cat household gives me good reason to spend some money haha!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I wonder if they do stuff like that just to make sure you’re paying attention.

And he did get your attention, didn’t he?

Bet he got special hugs, scratching and treats too?

As my cats say “ I’ve played you like a fine violin!