Cat hardly eating but not losing weight

Lady Amalara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is not eating as much and several times not finished her food. She is definitely not losing weight, as a matter of fact, she feels likes she's gaining. Anyone have the same issue or have ideas?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Can you tell us some more about your cat? How old? Spayed? Indoor/outdoor? What does she normally eat? How much does she normally eat? If you think she is gaining weight, where at exactly? More information is always better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lady Amalara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, she is an indoor spayed 10 year old sweetheart. She is and has always been on Fancy Feast Pate and Medleys and dry Science Diet Perfect Weight. She usually eats 1/2 cup dry and 1 can wet daily. 1/2 in the am and the other in the evening. She was to the vet 4.5 months ago and given a clean bill of health. I think she is gaining belly weight...not 100% sure. I just notice because she is heavier when I pick her up.

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat also seemed to gain weight on that type and brand of dry food. I measured out the recommended amount for her “ideal” weight and she never lost a lb. Might be the food…

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet check the teeth? Dental issues can be painful and cause a cat to not eat. Many regular vets have no clue about dental health so you may need to find a veterinary dentist.

Can you try different brands of food? And more canned than dry?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, she is an indoor spayed 10 year old sweetheart. She is and has always been on Fancy Feast Pate and Medleys and dry Science Diet Perfect Weight. She usually eats 1/2 cup dry and 1 can wet daily. 1/2 in the am and the other in the evening. She was to the vet 4.5 months ago and given a clean bill of health. I think she is gaining belly weight...not 100% sure. I just notice because she is heavier when I pick her up.
Have you noticed her weight gain happening since she last went to the vet? Sometimes health problems can happen quickly in aging cats, and it's often a good idea --if you are able $$-- to take a cat 9-10 yrs old and older in to the vet approx every six months or so. Not to scare you but some cancers can grow quickly, and you might want to rule that out. I'm also concerned that you say she seems to be eating less than her usual. Maybe keep an eye on her, and if that continues or gets worse, consider taking her in for a wellness check-up?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would bring her to the vet for senior panel and UA just to ensure she's ok as well a dental check-up. Her not losing weight even though she's eating less is a bit concerning. Seniors are prone to a lot of health issues so it could be a number of things. Sometimes it can be fluids on the inside that make a cat appear bigger. They are just so full of fluid they are too full to eat.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Belly weight is probably from the dry food. Do you have a pet scale? Ff classics is a good brand. See if you get her to eat canned by slowing mixing in a small amount every day. My 9 pd cat eats 2 3oz cans a day

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Belly weight is probably from the dry food. Do you have a pet scale? Ff classics is a good brand. See if you get her to eat canned by slowing mixing in a small amount every day. My 9 pd cat eats 2 3oz cans a day
Responded to the wrong post so scratch that