Cat had red assuming blood in his vomit

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I sometimes sleep for 10 hours per day which can cause my cats to wait a little bit longer for food. My one cat sometimes will vomit bile if he doesn't have anything for around 8 hours 'he's also the one that had bloody bile' but the other ones seem to be okay with waiting the 10 hours before their morning meal. He's 10 years old, has had some issues with his teeth but overall has been fairly healthy so waking up to this was pretty scary. It wasn't a dark read it was really bright red almost pinkish, and the only thing that I can think of it maybe being is maybe one of his teeth are loose again and maybe that caused some blood to come out? When I looked inside of his mouth he did have a pretty nasty looking tooth where his gums right under his tooth were kind of red not his entire gum just a bit under the bad tooth. We just had to pay $1200 this month for another animal in our household to go to the vet so I'm really not sure if I have money to go again this month. Is this something that can wait two weeks to a month? He is acting normally and eating just fine, just also really want some ideas on what else could cause this.

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I am sorry. This cat needs to see the Veterinarian ASAP, There could be many other reasons than the teethe and all of the would need a vet to see him.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not to suggest he doesn't need to see a vet, especially if he has issues with teeth.

However, as a cat parent with a cat that frequently vomits bile when she goes too long without eating, i had the scare of the pinkish vomit once, and google actually had a non scary possible explanation. It said it could have been that a blood vessel broke from the retching, causing the pink tinge. It only happened the one time for Ruby, so hopefully it will be the same for your cat.

Do keep an eye on your guy though, and check with your vet if it happens again or his tooth seems to be bothering him, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not to suggest he doesn't need to see a vet, especially if he has issues with teeth.

However, as a cat parent with a cat that frequently vomits bile when she goes too long without eating, i had the scare of the pinkish vomit once, and google actually had a non scary possible explanation. It said it could have been that a blood vessel broke from the retching, causing the pink tinge. It only happened the one time for Ruby, so hopefully it will be the same for your cat.

Do keep an eye on your guy though, and check with your vet if it happens again or his tooth seems to be bothering him, etc.
Thanks, He seems pretty healthy for the most part besides a few older kitty things. I'll keep a close eye on him and take him to the vet asap when I have the money since I'm guessing the blood work and xrays will be around $400-600 usd

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unfortunately those blood vessels if tutored can be fatal. Even in humans. I knew someone who died from that. Although if that had happened in your cat, you would know it.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks, He seems pretty healthy for the most part besides a few older kitty things. I'll keep a close eye on him and take him to the vet asap when I have the money since I'm guessing the blood work and xrays will be around $400-600 usd
Not necessarily. It could just be the cost of an exam and if caused by the teeth, antibiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just an update i ended up finding out that it is in fact one of his teeth. Going to keep them brushed and hopefully some of the tarter buildup with break off before taking him in to get them cleaned and checked.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I wouldn’t brush them. It will hurt and probably cause damage. Getting the tarter off won’t help. The problem is below the gum line. There is nothing you can do at home for teethe once there is a problem. It still would be a good idea to get some antibiotics from your vet to fight the infection and hopefully prevent an abscess.