Cat had 1 kitten at 7/7:30pm last night and stopped

Ame25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had 1 kitten last night then settled, ate drank, nursed the kitten and carrying on as normal. Her tummy is still swollen and I’m sure there’s more in there. She’s not looking in any active labour or distress. She’s very content in her chosen place for birthing along with the kitten who’s nursing and doing well. I’ve read a lot about cats having a resting period for up to 24-36 hours. I’m just wondering other people’s experiences in this situation or is it possible she’s just having one and her stomach is naturally swollen from pregnancy. Trying not to disturb her by feeling her tummy or damaging anything.
only advice please, I am aware she does need to be spayed and was booked in before a window was carelessly left open and she took a a little wander. Lesson learnt.
thank you

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she may have more, and if so, they will come when the kittens and mom are ready.

Since you don’t want to disturb her and she appears to be in no distress, just wait it out. It’s possible for cats to just have one and put on weight regardless during pregnancy, but she may have a couple more.

If she begins to exhibit stress other than normal labor, or seems unwell, an x-ray at the vet will show if she has more kittens inside.

Good all is well for now! Mom is a beauty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ame25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like she may have more, and if so, they will come when the kittens and mom are ready.

Since you don’t want to disturb her and she appears to be in no distress, just wait it out. It’s possible for cats to just have one and put on weight regardless during pregnancy, but she may have a couple more.

If she begins to exhibit stress other than normal labor, or seems unwell, an x-ray at the vet will show if she has more kittens inside.

Good all is well for now! Mom is a beauty!
Thank you so much. Trying not to worry or stress so she stays as calm and chilled as she is now so I suppose it’s a waiting game. Thanks again for the advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ame25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it possible she is just having one kitten. Still nothing. And she’s still just behaving normally.. kitten is feeding well, napping and shuffling around. Mum is content. She ate earlier but haven’t eaten a little bit now but still happy, purring, cleaning baby, having a little wander and going back to the basket.
ive had a little feel of the bottom of her stomach and I just feel like it’s her milk I can feel.. then further up is still a little swollen. Rather confused but really don’t want to stress her out taking her in the carrier to the vet for nothing while she’s perfectly happy

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just wait a few days. As long as she’s behaving normally, I wouldn’t worry. If she has more kittens they may come in the next few days. It’s not unheard of. If none come and you want to make sure, you can get her x-rayed later in the week. If you do take her to the vet, kitten goes too.