Cat Hacks To Save You Money

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
There are some really good ideas in there - I especially liked the catnip stuffed sock until they added googly eyes to it and created a mouse. Just thought I should mention: If those eyes come off, they can be a choking hazard. On the other hand, the catnip infused paper bag is both safe and marvelous - Chula would go nuts over something like this. And you're absolutely right about their kitty! What a sweetheart!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
There are some really good ideas in there - I especially liked the catnip stuffed sock until they added googly eyes to it and created a mouse. Just thought I should mention: If those eyes come off, they can be a choking hazard. On the other hand, the catnip infused paper bag is both safe and marvelous - Chula would go nuts over something like this. And you're absolutely right about their kitty! What a sweetheart!
I thought the same thing about the googly eyes.

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yay! Thank you! I'm going to try some of those (sans eyes lol).

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bag is also a safety hazard if it has handles as the home made one in the video does. The handles should be removed. I would not use the googly eyes either or a pipe cleaner. Why not just stitch it shut?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
The bag is also a safety hazard if it has handles as the home made one in the video does. The handles should be removed. I would not use the googly eyes either or a pipe cleaner. Why not just stitch it shut?
Good points about the bag handles and the pipe cleaner. I had a cat once who put her head through the handles of a bag, freaked out, and ran frantically throughout the apartment while I tried to calm her down. I was terrified she'd catch it on something and break her neck. Brrrr. Scary memories. But yeah, bag handles. Bad things for kitties.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In our house, those handles are very desirable toys in and of themselves! We cut off those handles and save them. Milly plays with them, they are one of her favorites toys.

I keep them in a ziplock bag... I think I'll add some catnip to that storage bag now!

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I keep the paper handles separate from the bag as well. Jonesy loves them! But ya, no bags with handles attached are allowed to be in reach of the cat.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Good points about the bag handles and the pipe cleaner. I had a cat once who put her head through the handles of a bag, freaked out, and ran frantically throughout the apartment while I tried to calm her down. I was terrified she'd catch it on something and break her neck. Brrrr. Scary memories. But yeah, bag handles. Bad things for kitties.
I had the same thing happen with my kitty, Teddy Bear, back in the ‘80s. She slithered almost through the handle of a plastic grocery bag but it got caught around her middle. When she walked away, it billowed out behind her and made rustling noises. Absolutely terrified her. She took off, which made it billow and rustle even more. She tore upstairs with me in pursuit, trying to dodge the urine she let loose. She finally tried to run behind a chest and got jammed. Scraped the fur off the side of her little face. I am SO glad I was home. Any plastic bags in my house (and there are very few) get the handles snipped open.