Cat GPS collar (recommendations needed!)

skysky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Made this a little bigger than necessary to make it easier to read the specs. I really just wanna see if anyone uses this or has heard of something similar to this. My cousin lives in a ranch house with a lot of land acres. One of her cats is missing and while she will still continuously search for her baby, she does not want this to happen again. She has about 3 other cats...If anyone has any thoughts on this product please chime in! Thank you in advanced!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think the best thing is to keep cats indoors if the area around her home isn't safe enough. A cat enclosure can help provide the cats with an opportunity to spend time outside safely. A GPS collar may help her locate the collar when the cat is lost but I'm afraid this may be too late to help the cat :(

I added the product to our reviews section, so if anyone has tried it, I'd love to see reviews for it as well - 
[product="20484"]Tagg Pet Gps Plus Dog And Cat Tracker Collar Attachment  [/product]

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought these for my cats collars. They sell an accessory that will attach it to the collar and you can get it engraved if you want. These are from an Indiegogo campaign that has closed. Mine are supposed to be shipping in July. I ordered them with engraving and the collar accessories. 

https://www.thetrackr.com/bravo

opal16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would just have the cats microchiped. I'm not sure but I think you can get an app on your phone that can track the chip. Not sure though.

opal16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
kat0121 I love you quote on your profile by the way. 

wingwalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A microchip only helps to identify a cat. It does not help to locate a cat. Microchips are passive devices, which means they have no internal energy source. Only a scanner held within half an inch or so can pick up the number of the microchip, which then can be used to find the owner information in a database.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tagg is $70ish up front and then requires a $7.00 base monthly subscription. And the base subscription may not provide what's needed, thus requiring more money each month on an upgraded plan.  (Think cable tv...).

Now, it's not out yet, but, it can be pre-ordered.  Google "Nuzzle Collar".  From what understand, this is only GPS tracking device that doesn't require a monthly subscription.  It's a one time expense.  Pre-Orders are supposed to be shipping in March.
This is what I'll be trying.

It appears they are promoting pet insurance and using this tracker to get customers in the front door.

However, I like the looks of the tracker and the one time price. I just hope it works as claimed.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing about the Nuzzle Collar is that it works via cellular signal. So if this is tied into your phones cellular, and it's always on, how much cellular data does it use?

mythmara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am also looking for a trackable cat collar. The tagg brand collar mentioned above is recommended for pet 15 pounds and above. Not for the average cat. Every year electronic things get smaller so I am still on the search! Will update if I find one.

mythmara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately these are as big as a fifty cent piece. Too big for most cats and certainly for a one year old. It is surprising with the state of technology that there is not a very small implantable gps product available yet. Addition prob for cats, they often learn how to take off the break always....

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately these are as big as a fifty cent piece. Too big for most cats and certainly for a one year old. It is surprising with the state of technology that there is not a very small implantable gps product available yet. Addition prob for cats, they often learn how to take off the break always....
I have 3 of these. They are much closer in size to a US quarter

mythmara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh! Cool. Thanks so much. Now i need to find a breakaway collar he wont lose in a week. Good news is i could track it down!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! Cool. Thanks so much. Now i need to find a breakaway collar he wont lose in a week. Good news is i could track it down!
IF you, or another Tracker user gets within 100 ft of it.
Sounds like a good way to find your cat if he's hiding under the bed.

Wism1989

Cataclasm
Kitten
Purraise
I bought a cheap small smartphone and installed windows spy on it since it is able to track a phone's location. And yeah i managed to attach it to my cat (don't ask). He feels comfortable, i feel safe. But i haven't heard about those trackers. Maybe i will buy one.