Cat "going" Inside The House

Tyrion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Our cat, about 10 years old, has suddenly changed her behavior. She's an indoor/outdoor cat, cries when she wants to come in, cries when she wants to do outside - a "normal" cat in my experience. She's always done her business outside. She cries when she wants to go out and we let her out.

Suddenly she's decided she can do her business inside. At first it was on a small rug in the bathroom - she could kind of "bury" it by scratching the rug into a pile. So we took that rug away and now she finds other places inside the house. And there are people in the house that will let her outside, if she asks.

There's no other behavior change that I can see. Same energy level, eats the same, same affection level, isn't afraid to go outside, the weather isn't extreme - I have no clue why this behavior change. She just decided inside the house is a proper place to "go" (#1&2).

Any tips on how to address this problem?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Try a litter box in the bathroom, with that rug she initially like underneath it, filled with sandy litter and some unfertilized potting soil.
Get an enzymatic cleaner for the other areas.
When she's using the box consistently, then move it to just outside the bathroom (with that rug underneath it), in other words a short distance.
Hopefully she continues to use it. Then gradually by increments, move it to where you want it.
Has she been to the vet lately? It might be a good time to do that, if she hasn't been.

MarcEwing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It can be medical reasons, even your cat looks fine, check with a veterinarian. My friend have a similar problem, his cat start "going" (if u like that metaphor :D) in random places, instead of litter box. He was fine in general, but maybe became less energetic.
Of course with a big chance it also can be emotional problems, but you must think about that after vet anyways.