Cat Giving Birth: Not Sure Whether There Are More Kittens

Grasshopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a female, approx. 1 year old, small. She followed us in, and stayed. She was a neighbors but the conditions not right for humans, let alone animals.
She just gave birth 16 hrs. ago, to one kitten, but she still looks large and feels lumpy. My fifth time birthing cats (very pro spay/neuter, but was not in time on this one). From what I have found out about her, it is her first litter. She is attentive, more confused than other Queens before, and I cannot get a "read" on whether more are coming. Do I just keep her and kitten safe, secluded (on queen bed, in basket with heating pad on low, towel over it) and wait? Any input would be appreciated. I am right there, watching for cue's. Thanks to all in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, if there are no visible problems you do exactly what you are suggesting. If you have access to a good vet, you CAN phone him. But with 95% probablity the vet will give the same advice.

Is she taking care of the kittens as she shall?? This is often a hint if she has problems, some mommas take care even in great pains, but many doenst manage if in trouble.
Always good to weigh the kitten daily to be sure its eating and gaining OK.
Sometimes they seems to suckle, but really dont get anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any updates! StefanZ gave excellent advice! Since the kittens have separate sacs and placentas, they can be born up to two weeks apart. It's very important to look for signs of distress, especially since she is small. Bless you for taking her in ❤