Cat Getting Scared Of My Other Cat.

pheonix1410

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had 4 cats. 3 males and 1 female. They used to play together very well, but recently the youngest cat I had died and since then Max is scared of my other 2 cats. He hisses when they go near him and doesn't play anymore. I want him to be normal again. What should I do? and Why is he behaving like this?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Condolences on the loss of your youngest cat. :alright: RIP sweet kitty. :angel:

Was Max more friendly with the youngest cat, than the other 2. Maybe he's missing his buddy.

Do Cats Mourn?

It could also be some sort of non-recognition:
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats

If the bullying continues, you might have to temporarily separate Max from the other 2 cats, and do a re-introduction.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

You can also look into Feliway, or maybe calming treats.

Hope things get better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pheonix1410

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, He liked my youngest cat more then anyone else. and his behaviour changed from the day tom died. So should I just seperate him from other cats for a while?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.

If the other cats are respecting Max's space and he's not going after them I wouldn't separate them yet. Max lost his friend, doesn't understand why and is working out his new place in the family. His confidence is probably low right now also. Is there anything he still enjoys? Will he play with you, maybe when the other cats are in another room? Will he accept pets, cuddles, brushing? As with most things cats patience is the key both with him and yourself.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, He liked my youngest cat more then anyone else. and his behaviour changed from the day tom died. So should I just seperate him from other cats for a while?
Since I haven't had to deal with something like your situation, I'm hesitant to recommend separating Max from the others too soon. How long ago did your youngest cat die?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pheonix1410

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1 month
Since I haven't had to deal with something like your situation, I'm hesitant to recommend separating Max from the others too soon. How long ago did your youngest cat die?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's not been that long, then. :( Try to give Max extra love and play time, and hopefully he'll be back to his normal self soon.:redheartpump: