Cat Gently Bit The Other Cat That Was Yowling

Chloeismyname

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was cutting Chloe’s nails and she always does a good job, stay still and let me finish, but sometimes she meows and yowl while waiting for me to be done, today Amber the other cat approached me and Chloe while she was howling and gave her a gentle bite followed by another gentle bite on my arm.
I’m wondering what her intention was, just curious!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's really hard to know C Chloeismyname .. Obviously Amber was responding to Chloe's howling but other than that, her reasons are her own. :)
Are you taking care not to cut into the red part of the claw? I'm just wondering why she's yowling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chloeismyname

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I only cut the very tip of the nail, she doesn’t act like it’s hurting or something just hate being held haha thanks for your reply, I thought Amber’s reaction was funny, cats are ull of mysteries huh?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are bothered noise, whether that is the ringing of a telephone, people fighting, or a cat yowling. I think his bite was a gentle “stop that” to both of you.

I used to have a cat who would take the phone off the hook when it rang and climb up me and paw at my mouth if my son and I were having an argument.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chloeismyname

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That would make sense!
What a smarty kitty of yours :)

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Gwen also used to yowl in protest when I cut her nails, even though I know I never cut too far. She was also a master at the twist and wriggle to try to get away, so at least your Chloe stays still. Juniper is also a wriggler, and will hiss at me occasionally when I try to get her to stay still. If only we could explain logically that they're less likely to get hurt if they would just stay still!! :hmmm:

I think your other cat thought you two were fighting, and was trying to be a peacemaker.