Cat gave birth but tummy still has movements

Jingaggabao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good day. My cat gave birth to 4 kittens but sadly 1 died because of rejection. We weren't aware because she gave birth past midnight. Her tummy is still enlarged and looks like it has still kittens and her tummy also palpitates. I'm worried because it almost been 2 days after she first gave birth. What do i need to do?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good day. My cat gave birth to 4 kittens but sadly 1 died because of rejection. We weren't aware because she gave birth past midnight. Her tummy is still enlarged and looks like it has still kittens and her tummy also palpitates. I'm worried because it almost been 2 days after she first gave birth. What do i need to do?
How is she otherwise? Seems fine, nurses babies, no visible problems? Babies OK?
(weigh the kittens every day; they should add 10+ grams a day)

IF so, you can probably wait and see. Do observe closely, its touchy, but the money bet is it will solve itself.

Either there is a kitten, and it will come out by itself in due time. (yes it happens not all come out at the same time)

OR the most common; what you see is; the uterus is swollen enlarged and hard; and the movements are the usual afterpains and perhaps gases... We HAD forumites whom swore they saw movements, but it was nothing.

The situation difficult to recognize exactly; if you arent very experienced rescuer or breeder. So many of our forumites are in this situation. :)

Of course, if you do have natural access to a good vet, do consult him her. Its the safest.
But if you dont have, its not wise to spend thousands dollars on an ER vet, when the money bet its no great problem.
Spare the money for a situation you KNOW its emergency...

Re the kitten whom died. Probably it was some fault on it. Healthy kittens seldom die just that, they live at least several hours, even if momma doesnt nurse it. Its possibly if you noticed at once something was amiss, you could save the little one by vigorous hand raising, etc, but its not at all sure.
So, regreattable; but a pityable part of life... some kittens do die if you are unlucky.

The kittens perhaps a shade premature; and its why some kittens are still in there?? How do the kittens looks?

Please continue with reports, and good luck!

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps what do the kittens weigh? Keeping controls of weigh, preferably in grammes, helps much to see if there is something wrong. A good delivery weigh is 100 grammes. A very bad weigh is 50... A good daily raise is 10+ grammes.