Cat Foods to Gain Weight

wawadoll8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greetings fellow Cat Lovers :hellosmiley:

I continue with the journey that my kitty cat Buddy is a dry food lover (teetering on addict) and major aversion to any wet food that began about a month ago when transitions were beginning with his food and with the seasonal change to spring going into summer. Thankfully, I live in a basement apartment and so it is quite cool. Anyhow, my Buddy has lost a pound or so and I am concerned about him not getting enough calories and nutrition. I thought about bringing him to the vet, but he is still acting like his playful self, eating, drinking, etc.

As it stands, Buddy gets his 1/2 cup of dry food and pretty much eats the entire bowl in one day and then drinks lots of water. Are there any foods that anyone here can recommend that can give him a caloric and nutritional boost- preferably dry since he is such a dry food lover or maybe a mousse texture kind of wet food? I've chatted with my vet's office and they had mentioned kitten wet food has more caloric intake. My local pet store says there needs to be a support group for cats when it comes to food...I think I could facilitate that...haha!

As always, grateful for any suggestions and help! Thank you for your time and help!

With Gratitude,
Mary & Buddy :lovecat2:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein chicken cat food is very good stuff. It's caloric and has no carby fillers. One of our cats recently decided she mostly wants dry food... I'm glad this one works for her! They'll send samples if you ask.
Dr. Elsey’s cleanprotein™ Chicken Recipe Dry Kibble Cat Food (drelseys.com)

For wet food with a mousse-ish texture, that same cat loves (relatively speaking for a cat who's not especially into wet food!) Nulo's chicken and duck food. It's expensive but both cats love it and eat it, which is always a good start. Nulo FreeStyle Silky Mousse For Cats | Chicken & Duck

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is Buddy? The most common weight loss issue is hyperthyroidism. The only symptom some cats have - just like mine - was weight loss with no change in food consumption or behavior otherwise. There is a thyroid blood test that could either confirm that or rule it out. Some vets don't do this test unless there is a reason (like weight loss), while other vets are now adding it to the list of things to test when doing other blood work.

Lime_Cat

Cat Enthusiast In His Twenties + CAT DAD
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand your concern about Buddy's weight loss and wanting to ensure he gets enough calories and nutrition. It's great that he is still acting like his playful self and maintaining his appetite. Here are a few suggestions to consider:

1. High-calorie dry food: Look for dry cat food that is specifically formulated for weight gain or has a higher caloric content. These types of food can provide additional calories to help maintain or increase Buddy's weight. Consult with your veterinarian to find the most suitable option for Buddy's specific needs.

2. Wet food options: While Buddy may have an aversion to wet food, you can try different textures and flavors to see if he shows any interest. Some cats prefer mousse or pâté-style wet food, which can be a good option for providing extra calories and moisture. Kitten wet food, as suggested by your vet's office, can indeed be higher in calories and nutrition, so it's worth considering.

3. Nutritional supplements: Discuss with your veterinarian the possibility of adding nutritional supplements to Buddy's diet. These supplements can help ensure he receives essential nutrients and can aid in weight gain. Your vet can recommend appropriate supplements and guide you on the proper dosage.

4. Feeding frequency: Consider dividing Buddy's daily food intake into multiple smaller meals throughout the day. This can help ensure he is consistently receiving calories and nutrition. It may also be helpful to monitor his food intake to ensure he finishes each meal.

Remember to monitor Buddy's weight and overall health closely. If you notice any significant changes or concerns, it's always best to consult with your veterinarian for a comprehensive evaluation and personalized recommendations. They can provide further guidance based on Buddy's specific needs and help address any underlying causes for his weight loss.

Best of luck, and I hope Buddy's appetite improves and he regains the weight he needs for optimal health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wawadoll8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein chicken cat food is very good stuff. It's caloric and has no carby fillers. One of our cats recently decided she mostly wants dry food... I'm glad this one works for her! They'll send samples if you ask.
Dr. Elsey’s cleanprotein™ Chicken Recipe Dry Kibble Cat Food (drelseys.com)

For wet food with a mousse-ish texture, that same cat loves (relatively speaking for a cat who's not especially into wet food!) Nulo's chicken and duck food. It's expensive but both cats love it and eat it, which is always a good start. Nulo FreeStyle Silky Mousse For Cats | Chicken & Duck
Thank you so much! I managed to get a hold of some Dr. Elsey's dry food and Buddy doesn't like it. Buddy used to like Nulo, but he turned his nose to it as well. Then again, I tried Nulo on him awhile ago. Maybe I'll give it a go to try it again. :-)

wawadoll8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand your concern about Buddy's weight loss and wanting to ensure he gets enough calories and nutrition. It's great that he is still acting like his playful self and maintaining his appetite. Here are a few suggestions to consider:

1. High-calorie dry food: Look for dry cat food that is specifically formulated for weight gain or has a higher caloric content. These types of food can provide additional calories to help maintain or increase Buddy's weight. Consult with your veterinarian to find the most suitable option for Buddy's specific needs.

2. Wet food options: While Buddy may have an aversion to wet food, you can try different textures and flavors to see if he shows any interest. Some cats prefer mousse or pâté-style wet food, which can be a good option for providing extra calories and moisture. Kitten wet food, as suggested by your vet's office, can indeed be higher in calories and nutrition, so it's worth considering.

3. Nutritional supplements: Discuss with your veterinarian the possibility of adding nutritional supplements to Buddy's diet. These supplements can help ensure he receives essential nutrients and can aid in weight gain. Your vet can recommend appropriate supplements and guide you on the proper dosage.

4. Feeding frequency: Consider dividing Buddy's daily food intake into multiple smaller meals throughout the day. This can help ensure he is consistently receiving calories and nutrition. It may also be helpful to monitor his food intake to ensure he finishes each meal.

Remember to monitor Buddy's weight and overall health closely. If you notice any significant changes or concerns, it's always best to consult with your veterinarian for a comprehensive evaluation and personalized recommendations. They can provide further guidance based on Buddy's specific needs and help address any underlying causes for his weight loss.

Best of luck, and I hope Buddy's appetite improves and he regains the weight he needs for optimal health.
These are truly helpful tips! I think I have tried every texture and brand with Buddy and he doesn't like any wet food. I do like your idea of Nutritional Supplements. When I was at the pet store recently, "Tomlyn Nutritional Gel" was recommended to me. I definitely see that Buddy is a grazer and snacker. I thought about giving him little meals throughout the day. I'll have to think about this a bit further. Thank you for all the advice!

wawadoll8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. How old is Buddy? The most common weight loss issue is hyperthyroidism. The only symptom some cats have - just like mine - was weight loss with no change in food consumption or behavior otherwise. There is a thyroid blood test that could either confirm that or rule it out. Some vets don't do this test unless there is a reason (like weight loss), while other vets are now adding it to the list of things to test when doing other blood work.
Buddy is 3-years-old. I heard hyperthyroidism is really common among older cats. I'm definitely keeping an eagle eye out for Buddy...maybe too much so. Buddy was tested for diabetes because he drinks A LOT of water, but nothing with diabetes there. I last brought Buddy to the vet in April and he got a very good clean bill of health. It was actually after he went to the vet that he seemed to have this shift in his food and weight. I am sure when I would know when I would have to bring Buddy to the vet if need be. Thanks so much!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi,
Kitten wet food is a definite possibility, royal canin mother and baby cat is one of these options.

Tiki-cat may have something for you regarding a mousse style variety, in their Velvet Mousse pouches.

The supplements such as Tomlyns and similar are risky in my mind for long term use because they are literally sugar.

At your next vet check you may need to request to have the first "level" of the thyroid test included in the blood tests. If hyperthyroidism is suspected but this number is in the normal range, there is a second test that is more definitive, so it can be beneficial to have enough blood drawn to have that done.

Last edited:

wawadoll8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Kitten wet food is a definite possibility, royal canin mother and baby cat is one of these options.

Tiki-cat may have something for you regarding a mousse style variety, in their Velvet Mousse pouches.

The supplements such as Tomlyns and similar are risky in my mind for long term use because they are literally sugar.

At your next vet check you may need to request to have the first "level" of the thyroid test included in the blood tests. If hyperthyroidism is suspected but this number is in the normal range, there is a second test that is more definitive, so it can be beneficial to have enough blood drawn to have that done.
That is a really good point about Tomlyns! I was actually reading the ingredients and thinking "sugar? corn syrup?" None of these things are healthy for me and probably would be worst for my Buddy! Thank you for the information about the first "level" of the thyroid test!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will also recommend Royal Canin Mother and Babycat. It's easily digestible so he can gain weight on it easily.

Some simple and inexpensive brands of wet often encourage eating best like Fancy Feast or Iams Perfect Portions. Just watch for the 'flavours' with simple ingredients.

Your cat could find that dry food is harder to digest so that's why he loses some weight. Then it gets hard because he won't eat the wet!

Some freeze dried food like Stella and Chewys or some 'wet' kibble like Fresh Pet could be good in that circumstance. Those helped my late cat to keep weight on.