Cat food opinion

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don’t worry guys this is not a freak out post I swear. 😂 Both Casper & Scooter are doing good especially Scooter. But I do have a dilemma I need some insight on. As everyone knows I feed Casper & Scooter Purina Pro Plan Urinary Tract Health wet food & Purina One+Plus Urinary Health dry food. While I am looking for a job I do side hustles to get money. It doesn’t get me a lot of money but helps me buy food for my boys & Nera(my dog). It also helps get litter or if I need probiotics. Rest I usually use on myself. The bad part I only get paid once a month. I rarely get more than $300 the amount each month varies it’s why it’s a side hustle. But grateful to do it to buy what I need until I can get a job. Last week I was running short on money I needed to get both wet & dry food. I decided to sell a couple of things that I no longer wanted for extra money. My mom’s co worker saw my post and bought my coffee maker and someone she knows bought my extra set of headphones. She asked my mom why I was selling them and my mom told her so I could get some cat food. She told her what kind I buy. Next day the lady gave my mom a bag of dry food and 4 cans of food to give me. She got the wet and dry food I use. I was very grateful for it cause it helped get me by til Saturday when I went to Petco to stock up for the month.

Here is my dilemma the 4 cans of cat food are seafood flavors. 2 salmon & 2 ocean whitefish yes both are the Purina Pro Plan urinary food. But since I heard you shouldn’t feed fish to cats who had a UTI. Casper he could eat it but since Scooter who went through a UTI I would be hesitant on feeding it to him. I do everything I can to make sure Scooter doesn’t ever have another one. So I do my best to stay away from anything seafood flavor although they were given salmon juice last week but that was a random once a month thing. I don’t blame the lady cause she didn’t know I stay away from seafood. So I’m not going to be rude about it at all. But I don’t know if it would hurt to feed the 4 cans to my boys. It won’t be a constant thing as there is only 4 cans. But I am a little hesitant on doing it. I do feed stray cats maybe I could give the cans to them? My sister has a cat maybe I could give them to her for him? I don’t know fully what do you guys think? Would it hurt Scooter if I gave him a can or should I do something else with them?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In answer to your question about feeding this food, since it's actually sold as a urinary food, I think it should be fine to feed it. Do you still have some of the other cans though? If you do, then you could space them out so you don't feed these four cans all in a row. I say this because some cats love fish and then that's all they want. Mine do not like fish, so that's not a problem, but some cats are "fishaholics".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In answer to your question about feeding this food, since it's actually sold as a urinary food, I think it should be fine to feed it. Do you still have some of the other cans though? If you do, then you could space them out so you don't feed these four cans all in a row. I say this because some cats love fish and then that's all they want. Mine do not like fish, so that's not a problem, but some cats are "fishaholics".
I just stocked up on chicken in gravy and turkey & giblets as I finally found it in a 5.5oz can. I couldn’t find any beef & chicken in 5.5oz cans. Both love tuna and salmon juice. But I try to not give them too much seafood. It’s more of an every now & then thing as a treat.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never had issues using the three flavours in the mixed box when I've been gifted the mixed box. But with some cats you don't know until you try it. The three flavours have similar make ups so it shouldn't effect the tummy if they are fine with some protein changes. Spread out the fish cans if you're concerned.

Though I believe your other post was Scooter throwing up a random thing and not the food right?

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never had issues using the three flavours in the mixed box when I've been gifted the mixed box. But with some cats you don't know until you try it. The three flavours have similar make ups so it shouldn't effect the tummy if they are fine with some protein changes. Spread out the fish cans if you're concerned.

Though I believe your other post was Scooter throwing up a random thing and not the food right?
Yes correct my other post was about Scooter throwing up a random thing. Still don’t know what it was but he hasn’t thrown up since. I decided to give the 4 cans of fish food to the strays outside. I don’t want to risk giving Scooter anything seafood right now. If I do decide to give him a fish flavor I will get a 3oz can next time I need to stock up which will be next week probably.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes correct my other post was about Scooter throwing up a random thing. Still don’t know what it was but he hasn’t thrown up since. I decided to give the 4 cans of fish food to the strays outside. I don’t want to risk giving Scooter anything seafood right now. If I do decide to give him a fish flavor I will get a 3oz can next time I need to stock up which will be next week probably.
Hopefully the stock is back to normal by then in your area.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully the stock is back to normal by then in your area.
I hope so my Petco goes back & forth on things sometimes they have flavors I want in 5.5oz cans. Other times only 1 flavor is in 5.5oz can so I end up with 3oz cans for the other flavors. Which for 2 cats doesn’t last long.

jojow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don’t worry guys this is not a freak out post I swear. 😂 Both Casper & Scooter are doing good especially Scooter. But I do have a dilemma I need some insight on. As everyone knows I feed Casper & Scooter Purina Pro Plan Urinary Tract Health wet food & Purina One+Plus Urinary Health dry food. While I am looking for a job I do side hustles to get money. It doesn’t get me a lot of money but helps me buy food for my boys & Nera(my dog). It also helps get litter or if I need probiotics. Rest I usually use on myself. The bad part I only get paid once a month. I rarely get more than $300 the amount each month varies it’s why it’s a side hustle. But grateful to do it to buy what I need until I can get a job. Last week I was running short on money I needed to get both wet & dry food. I decided to sell a couple of things that I no longer wanted for extra money. My mom’s co worker saw my post and bought my coffee maker and someone she knows bought my extra set of headphones. She asked my mom why I was selling them and my mom told her so I could get some cat food. She told her what kind I buy. Next day the lady gave my mom a bag of dry food and 4 cans of food to give me. She got the wet and dry food I use. I was very grateful for it cause it helped get me by til Saturday when I went to Petco to stock up for the month.

Here is my dilemma the 4 cans of cat food are seafood flavors. 2 salmon & 2 ocean whitefish yes both are the Purina Pro Plan urinary food. But since I heard you shouldn’t feed fish to cats who had a UTI. Casper he could eat it but since Scooter who went through a UTI I would be hesitant on feeding it to him. I do everything I can to make sure Scooter doesn’t ever have another one. So I do my best to stay away from anything seafood flavor although they were given salmon juice last week but that was a random once a month thing. I don’t blame the lady cause she didn’t know I stay away from seafood. So I’m not going to be rude about it at all. But I don’t know if it would hurt to feed the 4 cans to my boys. It won’t be a constant thing as there is only 4 cans. But I am a little hesitant on doing it. I do feed stray cats maybe I could give the cans to them bad cat food? My sister has a cat maybe I could give them to her for him? I don’t know fully what do you guys think? Would it hurt Scooter if I gave him a can or should I do something else with them?
I need your advice. I always fed my cat dry food. Suddenly I've decided to give him wet pouches and, to my surprise, he liked them. For a few months he eats wet food in the morning and dry food during the day. Didn't notice any changes in his health and behavior, except he is really happy when sees me with a pouch. But I'm not sure if feeding Richie with a mixture of wet and dry food is healthy and good for him. Do you think it's too bad? My husband seems to be against wet food and I don't know what to do.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need your advice. I always fed my cat dry food. Suddenly I've decided to give him wet pouches and, to my surprise, he liked them. For a few months he eats wet food in the morning and dry food during the day. Didn't notice any changes in his health and behavior, except he is really happy when sees me with a pouch. But I'm not sure if feeding Richie with a mixture of wet and dry food is healthy and good for him. Do you think it's too bad? My husband seems to be against wet food and I don't know what to do.
Feeding your kitty a combination of dry and wet food is perfectly fine and healthy. Wet food they get a lot of moisture which kitties need to stay hydrated and keep a healthy urinary tract. The more moisture in the food the less chance they have developing UTI issues. So wet food is very beneficial for that as wet food had more moisture than dry food alone. Dry food is good too as it has all the nutrients they need which can lead to things like soft fur and more energy. Plus it gives kitties something to crunch on. I give my 2 boys both dry and wet food. They get 2 wet food feedings a day with kibble in between. A combination of wet & dry will give your kitty the best of both worlds in benefits. Plus with wet food you can give them all kinds of flavors that they will enjoy. So if your kitty seems happy to have both dry and wet food continue to give him both.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I always recommend feeding at least 1 pouch or can of wet food per day as it is really healthy for them.

Of course, he's excited for his daily treat and the treat probably makes him feel very good as it is hydrating.

Why is your husband against it?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the others, this is very good for you cat and he seems to look forward to it, too. :)