Cat food for constipation

Cheryl2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat was with 2 others before my dad took him in at age 4. He has had enemas. Struggles with constipation. Vet said he has megacolon. Takes lactulose. I feel he is allergic to catfood he was put on to help with his bowel royal canine high fiber. Will vomit and scratches his head so ends up getting allergy injections every 6 weeks. Any suggestions for another type of food? I need something to help with megacolon/constipation that he won't be allergic to.
Thanks

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a Manx cat that I used to feed pumpkin too mixed into her wet food. It helped her. Is your cat on wet or dry food? You would definitely want him getting moisture from the wet food.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is on dry food.
I would switch to wet food or at least try and add some in. The moisture of the wet food should help him go to the bathroom.
Also being a male cat, they are more prone to urinary issues so wet food would be better than dry.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet if you could add Miralax to the diet. Since you're feeding dry food, you'll have to syringe the dissolved dose into the cat or mix it into a small amount of canned food or canned tuna or yummy moist treat your cat likes.

If the food is causing skin issues, I would get the cat off it instead of relying on allergy shots to temporarily relieve symptoms. A limited ingredient type diet in a novel may be helpful. There are commercial brands. Will your cat eat canned food? That would help get more moisture into the cat and help soften the stools a bit.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Miralax for my 18 year old cat. I dissolve it in a little bit of water and give it to her by a dropper. Otherwise I can’t get her to drink it or eat it mixed in with her food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheryl2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat was with 2 others before my dad took him in at age 4. He has had enemas. Struggles with constipation. Vet said he has megacolon. Takes lactulose. I feel he is allergic to catfood he was put on to help with his bowel royal canine high fiber. Will vomit and scratches his head so ends up getting allergy injections every 6 weeks. Any suggestions for another type of food? I need something to help with megacolon/constipation that he won't be allergic to.
Thanks
I had a Manx cat that I used to feed pumpkin too mixed into her wet food. It helped her. Is your cat on wet or dry food? You would definitely want him getting moisture from the wet food.
Ok.
I picked up some wet catfood today. I went with a grain free. Will start adding some into his diet.
Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheryl2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ask the vet if you could add Miralax to the diet. Since you're feeding dry food, you'll have to syringe the dissolved dose into the cat or mix it into a small amount of canned food or canned tuna or yummy moist treat your cat likes.

If the food is causing skin issues, I would get the cat off it instead of relying on allergy shots to temporarily relieve symptoms. A limited ingredient type diet in a novel may be helpful. There are commercial brands. Will your cat eat canned food? That would help get more moisture into the cat and help soften the stools a bit.
I picked up some wet catfood today. I went with a grain free at the pet store. I'm going to gradually add this to his diet while keeping the lactulose.
Thankyou