Cat Experiencing Episodes - Need Help

akali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10-year-old cat has been experiencing episodes for less than a year. Here is a description of the episode:

• She becomes frozen in place and starts making loud, high-pitched meows.
• Sometimes she also urinates.
• The episode lasts about 1 to 2 minutes, then she starts to come back to normal.
• After the episode, she is a bit tired, but she gets better throughout the day.

She is on a liver-protecting treatment because she has hepatic steatosis. Sometimes the episodes go away completely, but recently they are happening more often. Yesterday she had 3 episodes in one day, and today one. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation please?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

akali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has she been seen by a vet? It sounds like it could be something neurological. Cats suffer from seizures, just as people do, but you really need to get a vet to examine her thoroughly to determine what is going on.
Hi!
She has been going to a vet since she first had it. That’s where the vet did an ultrasound and blood tests and diagnosed her with hepatic steatosis. After treatment started, she was doing better, and from November 2023 to early March 2024, she didn’t have any crises. But in March, she got an attack of cat flu, and after that, the crises started again. I took her to the vet for a week, where she was treated for cat flu. During the treatment period, she didn’t have any crises. However, a week after stopping the treatment, she started having crises again. This time she had one on Saturday, three on Monday, and one yesterday, Tuesday.
I want to know if there are people who have experienced this, and whether her liver disease is the sole cause of her these episodes, or if any other health issues could be causing them.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The liver disease might have triggered an existing neurological condition because of possible toxins or altered elctrolytes levels in her blood.
I wonder if the blood tests she had included all levels, like electrolytes.
Anyway, it sounds like your cat has an ongoing neurological issue, likely epilepsy. It can appear under a few ways, my cat, for instance, looks confused about the environment she is in, she stops recognizing the places, us and her food. The last time she had an episode, two months ago, she looked fine until she started wobbling and then she gobbled her food down. My cat is on phenobarbital.

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't really look into your situation and know exactly what's going on of course. I had a similar experience with an older cat but she didn't have any previous symptoms. She randomly one day started getting seizures and for a few days straight they wouldn't stop and only got worse. We made the hard decision to have her brought into her permanent sleep by the vet. I hope they can find something to help your cat but don't forget that the most important thing is that your pet is happy and not suffering. Good luck I hope you find something that works :)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it could be something neurological.
The liver disease might have triggered an existing neurological condition
I think so, too, but I don't think it's a seizure. Fatty liver disease is strongly correlated with ischemic stroke.

I know that your vet is supposed to be treating for this problem but I would certainly bring this up. Your cat could be having mini-strokes associated with liver disease. It could be the disease, itself. It could be one of the medications that she's been given. It could even be that one of the meds you have been giving was staving it off and, when you stopped administering it, the problem came back.

Definitely get hold of your vet and ask about this: Liver disease is strongly associated with cardiovascular disease and stroke, among other things. Go over the list of medications and treatments that you have been giving your cat, in the past or present. Try to see if any of these meds or treatments line up with her episodes.

Don't forget to consider any home treatments you might be giving your cat. Herbal remedies, vitamin supplements, homeopathic treatments and other things can all have negative effect and you need to consider everything.

akali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't really look into your situation and know exactly what's going on of course. I had a similar experience with an older cat but she didn't have any previous symptoms. She randomly one day started getting seizures and for a few days straight they wouldn't stop and only got worse. We made the hard decision to have her brought into her permanent sleep by the vet. I hope they can find something to help your cat but don't forget that the most important thing is that your pet is happy and not suffering. Good luck I hope you find something that works :)
Thank you so much

akali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think so, too, but I don't think it's a seizure. Fatty liver disease is strongly correlated with ischemic stroke.

I know that your vet is supposed to be treating for this problem but I would certainly bring this up. Your cat could be having mini-strokes associated with liver disease. It could be the disease, itself. It could be one of the medications that she's been given. It could even be that one of the meds you have been giving was staving it off and, when you stopped administering it, the problem came back.

Definitely get hold of your vet and ask about this: Liver disease is strongly associated with cardiovascular disease and stroke, among other things. Go over the list of medications and treatments that you have been giving your cat, in the past or present. Try to see if any of these meds or treatments line up with her episodes.

Don't forget to consider any home treatments you might be giving your cat. Herbal remedies, vitamin supplements, homeopathic treatments and other things can all have negative effect and you need to consider everything.
Hi,
Thank you for your reply! I just read about the subject! I believe the vet has done what’s necessary for the diagnosis, but I’ll mention to him about strokes!
The episodes started before we began any treatment; they were actually the reason we consulted the vet and discovered her liver steatosis.
I don’t give her anything special at home.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, then, it sounds like you're on top of things. :)

I guess you can never really tell unless the cat is being seen by a vet when it happens. They'd, pretty much, have to be ready at the moment. Either that or they'd have to do an MRI or something. The chances of being in the right place at the right time are pretty slim.

Since you're not giving her any meds or home treatments, it pretty much rules those things out.

I guess the best thing to do is what you've already been doing. Just keep in touch with your vet and make sure that your cat has a safe place to be when it happens again. It's important for her to know that you're there for her and can care of her, afterward.

We have fingers crossed for you! 🤞
Sending get well vibes! :vibes: