Cat escaped the trap, how long to wait until another try?

Regina_K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I spent 1 month training a really smart and feral cat to enter the trap and eat there. I am using a trap which I remade to have a string that I pull when she's inside, and the door falls. I TNR-ed about 30 cats this way, but this cat is extremely sensitive and cunning.

Today she was finally comfortable enough in the trap, I pulled the string, the door fell but she somehow sensed this movement with her back, made a dash back, kept the door half way lifted with her back, and then escaped.

My mistake is that I didn't let her reach the end of the trap, but the problem is - she never does anyway. She only goes half way and stops there. She understands the logic that going further inside means a more difficult escape. She was never trapped before (she's about 1 year old) and still she understands this.

Now what? I am desperate. I decided to pause and not go there for a while so she hopefully forgets the negative experience, but how long should I wait until trying again, to "recondition" her to go inside the trap again? Is it even possible? Minding that I spent 1 month with her, while most other cats that I trapped needed a few days or a week to feel relaxed and comfortable with the trap. I had one cat trigger the trap by mistake, which fell loudly and she fled in terror, but next time she just went inside as if nothing happened and was TNR-ed.

But this one....Can reconditioning even happen with such sensitive cats? Or it's a lost cause after the escape? I know females are most hungry when they are breastfeeding, but this will mean for her to have another litter and her previous kittens didn't survive.

Drop trap - I had negative experiences with it because I had a cat escape during transfer from it, also had a cat just lift
it, sneak under and escape. So I stopped using it, besides it requires two people and I am alone.

Would like to hear especially from people who had the cats escape the trap but managed to retrap again.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think I would keep the trap in the same place and keep feeding her there as if nothing happened. Is it possible to get a longer trap so that she has to go further in to get the food? Or could you try and get a trap with a Perspex end, so she thinks she can walk out the other side?

NC1012 - "See Through" - Clear Rear Sliding Door For 10"x12" Cat Traps

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Regina_K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried with a longer trap. Since it's large, she's afraid of it and won't go into it. She ran away every time she saw me carrying it. Also, it's very difficult for me to carry it to the feeding place because I have health problems and can't carry much weight.

I think it's very good advice to behave as if nothing happened. Hopefully she forgets. The end of my trap is not another door, it's a mesh, she can see through it, but she knows she can't escape through the other end. She has a very strong intuition for a 1 year old cat. I have some suspicion she might be a mix with a forest cat because she lives in a park. She settled into a hut in the park and there gave birth. She completely avoids human contact and is extremely smart.

Regina_K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now this is very interesting! But I am in Europe and I couldn't find it in any EU stores...I'd order from the US if they agree to ship it (seems heavy).

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It isn't all that heavy but it is kind of a large box so shipping might be pretty expensive.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you just net her and put her in a carrier-you'll just be done with it then ....I'm only suggesting this because it seems you are expressing an urgency to get this done pronto.... are there intact males about that you cannot take your time?

Is she a seni feral or stray? You said you are working with her a month so how close do you get,enough for a set over trap ? I like the Tomahawk set over with the slide in bottom and easy guillotine door for use with a transfer cage or carrier....

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
And my heart goes out to you,I can relate to being debilitated and restricted by your own body-" the Golden Years,ha!"

But you're better off by yourself,other people just get in the way and we end up getting hurt or traumatizing the kitty-shes young,I'd get back to your routine for awhile and then try again when she's forgotten about that---- if you can wait❤

Oh,almost forgot!
:welcomesign::cheerleader::wave2::heartshape:

Regina_K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd like to post an update on this. I got her. :bunnydance:

Some details: her forgetting about the trap didn't work. I even bought another, a new trap that looked a bit different, so that the new one wouldn't have "the scent of fear" and would be a new experience, because I already was willing to do everything. Nope. She'd go inside by a few inches and that's it. So...things looked grim. Then the feeder (I am not the one feeding her, but another woman) mentioned that "she's afraid of both you and the trap". Then I got an idea. I told her: "then I will not participate, neither will the trap, but you will. "

I brought an ordinary plastic carrier and left it there but without the door. I told the feeder to start feeding her inside and only there, also to leave food inside. There are other strays, mostly males and yes Kwik, they are intact, so they'd enter and eat from it, but she managed to eat too. The carrier stayed there for a few weeks until the feeder confirmed that the cat freely enters it and reaches far enough to its end and is content to be inside. Then was phase 2. We were worried that she might already be pregnant. The feeder had to gradually approach the carrier with the cat inside. This took 1 month. But at least there was progress, because when I tried to approach instead of the other woman, the cat darted out like a bullet. Finally the feeder said she thinks we're ready. I attached the door, then stayed hidden behind the trees at a large distance. The cat entered far enough and then the feeder closed the door, locked it and called for me. It was dangerous because this cat could easily knock the door down of this plastic carrier (I had this happen before), so I ran and secured the door with additional weight from the outside, then wrapped the carrier in a sheet and loaded it into the car. That way I brought her to the vet for spaying.

I was really afraid that she might escape the carrier while inside the car, but she didn't. Still, knocking the door down did happen, at the vet. But they handled it.

That's it :)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to post an update on this. I got her. :bunnydance:

Some details: her forgetting about the trap didn't work. I even bought another, a new trap that looked a bit different, so that the new one wouldn't have "the scent of fear" and would be a new experience, because I already was willing to do everything. Nope. She'd go inside by a few inches and that's it. So...things looked grim. Then the feeder (I am not the one feeding her, but another woman) mentioned that "she's afraid of both you and the trap". Then I got an idea. I told her: "then I will not participate, neither will the trap, but you will. "

I brought an ordinary plastic carrier and left it there but without the door. I told the feeder to start feeding her inside and only there, also to leave food inside. There are other strays, mostly males and yes Kwik, they are intact, so they'd enter and eat from it, but she managed to eat too. The carrier stayed there for a few weeks until the feeder confirmed that the cat freely enters it and reaches far enough to its end and is content to be inside. Then was phase 2. We were worried that she might already be pregnant. The feeder had to gradually approach the carrier with the cat inside. This took 1 month. But at least there was progress, because when I tried to approach instead of the other woman, the cat darted out like a bullet. Finally the feeder said she thinks we're ready. I attached the door, then stayed hidden behind the trees at a large distance. The cat entered far enough and then the feeder closed the door, locked it and called for me. It was dangerous because this cat could easily knock the door down of this plastic carrier (I had this happen before), so I ran and secured the door with additional weight from the outside, then wrapped the carrier in a sheet and loaded it into the car. That way I brought her to the vet for spaying.

I was really afraid that she might escape the carrier while inside the car, but she didn't. Still, knocking the door down did happen, at the vet. But they handled it.

That's it :)
Congrats- thanks for update

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Well done!

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

I admire your persistence, it really paid off. What's going to happen with the rest of the colony, are you getting the boys neutered too?

Regina_K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you :) Yes, there is one social male who lives there and I will neuter him. There are other males that come and go and I am unable to predict when they will be around. For now there is only one female, this one, and she chases away all other females (heh) so for now all is calm, no kittens. Of course, nothing guarantees new "additions" , but the feeder will let me know.