Cat Escape And Now She’s Pregnant?

TheoDio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a cat about two weeks ago from someone who couldn’t look after her anymore. We were told she was spayed, microchipped, vaccinated and stuff so we never made arrangements with our vet for these things.

Early Friday morning, she managed to escape by squeezing herself through a tiny kitchen window. After a whole weekend of frantic searching she was found very early Monday morning.

After bringing her home we noticed she was rolling on the floor and sounded in pain so we rushed her to the vets. Only to find out she was in heat.

Turns out the previous owner lied and she wasn’t spayed or microchipped (and we assume not vaccinated either). She now has a microchip and an appointment for her vaccinations.

The vet said with her being outside as long as she was in heat that she is more than likely going to end up being pregnant. She advised spaying but due to my husbands religious beliefs he doesn’t want us to end the pregnancy if there was one. I did manage to convince him if she isn’t pregnant or the earliest we can after the kittens are born we should get her spayed.

It’s not ideal but if she is pregnant I want to do the best I can for her and the kittens. It’s my mistake for just trusting the previous owner and not having my vet double check she was spayed.

what are the chances she could be pregnant?
How could I prepare my home and cat care to ensure I keep all of them safe and healthy?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that you are being a little harsh on yourself. Whoever gave you the cat constructed a very plausible lie and you can’t blame yourself for not having been psychic.

If you would like to proceed with the birth of the kittens, you can get a great deal of help here in this forum.

Do I agree with your vet that the cat is more than likely pregnant? Absolutely.

My work has been exclusively with ferals and I have done a number of spays of pregnant cats. It is a very safe procedure, especially in the early part of the pregnancy. However, I do understand that your husband would not like to proceed with this. It is very kind of both of you to have taken this cat, and to be willing to help her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth - TheCatSite
Cat Pregnancy: Your Essential Roadmap to Feline Motherhood - TheCatSite
The Ultimate Kitten Care Guide: Top Tips for Raising Happy Kittens - TheCatSite
Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives) - TheCatSite
Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!: The Essential Guide For Worried Owners - TheCatSite

Kitten Lady

These articles may help you prepare for the kittens. The Kitten Lady has an entire site dedicated to kitten care including care of the mother cat.

One word of advice. Keep the cat inside even if she was used to going out. This all becomes exponentially more difficult if she goes out and then cannot be located and even more so if the kittens are born outside.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would almost suggest a little white lie. as soon When the heat is over, you go to the vet and let the vet spay her. Before you got any confirmation this way or another. And to the hubby you tell, she wasnt preg. Vet examined and couldnt see any pregnancy.
After all, it happens.
Among breeders its quite common, and most mating contracts have the clausule a remating is for free. I know; my residents were working studs.

Of course, if you WANT kittens, dont bother with my idea, just go on and see what happens.
Whichever decision you take, we will support and advice you.