Cat eating less than recommended amount after 1 year of age

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just go look at a bag of cat food. Calories are calculated in grams (weight) but for the nutritional info they're listed in cups (volume) because people use measuring scoops I presume? I don't know. I know my 1/4 cup scoop holds between 0.6 and 0.8 oz by scale depending on how the kibble sits. I know when my vet was discussing feeding amounts with me she kept saying "measuring cup" which made no sense to me b/c that's volume based and not accurate.

Here is an example, and it's an RX food so it's held to a higher standard than regular food. Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets UR Urinary St/Ox Feline Formula They key is "Using a standard 8 oz./ 250 ml measuring cup which contains approximately 105 g of UR Urinary St/Ox feline formula." Weight based, not volume.
Thanks. For me, I never gave this much thought, because I always received instructions from my vet as to how much to give my cat, and she always took into account the exact kind of food I'm using (and also recommended or prescribed the kind of food to use). My cat always had a sensitive stomach, which limited our options.

For dry, my unit of measurement is cups, and for wet, my "unit" is cans (of a specific wet food). I give a mixture of both. It's probably not the most accurate way to go about it, but I do weigh my cat monthly now, as he is 10, and I want to watch out for weight changes that may indicate any age-related health issues as he gets older. He's been stable.

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
cmshap cmshap I never gave it much thought either until my girl started refusing to eat and "every calorie mattered" ... that was when I learned a dry ounce isn't the same as a fluid (cup based) ounce. Canned food is all weight ounce based :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Update on Zephyr, he's been eating around ~200 calories per day in wet and raw food by himself for a few days but I'm still finding I have to coax him to finish the food by sprinkling treats on it. He also seems to want me there watching him eat to finish all the food.

After the food aversion situation with the new canned food it seems like he is also more reluctant to eat his favourite canned food brand (Rawz). I hope this is something that can be overcome eventually :(
I'm so glad he's eating more on his own, even though it's taking a little coaxing. Are you feeding him something other than the Rawz? Do you have Hounds and Gatos where you are? I think it's pretty high calorie, and although not as limited ingredient as Rawz, is still a pretty good food. Or how about Mouser brand? Their 5.5 oz cans vry from 188 to 235 calories per can, depending on which other protein is mixed with the whole cooked mouse :paranoid: .

I wonder if you can get him back on the Rawz the same way a lot of people convert to raw food in the first place, by just giving a tiny bit of raw mixed into their normal food and increasing it a little at a time until finally it is just the raw food?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
L Luvyna to maintain Magnus's weight we do kitten food once a day.

There is 0 way I could get him to eat enough dry food to get a full calorie set into him. But I do find he will eat 3-10 peices here and there and a couple of treats can get him over the edge of his daily portions.

Vet said he lost a touch of weight though. She did say it was still within range so we shouldn't worry.