Cat eating clay

KittyLove4956

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had dried clay on the table, ( I reccomend not doing.) and I heard a clicking noise in the other room so I guessed it was my cat playing with my pens, so I walked into the kitchen and I think he was eating clay! I cant get him to the vet because I dont have the funds! I am afraid he is gonna get all clogged up and die! Not sure what to do!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you figure out how much he may have ingested? If it was maybe a small amount, make sure he drinks plenty of water. You could call a vet and see what they suggest, you might google a pet poison center and see what they say too. Cats eat all kinds of weird stuff in their lives, most we don't even know about. Their digestive systems are totally different then ours, that is why they can drink out of nasty birdbaths and mud puddles and be OK. I really doubt a vet will do much until he starts acting different, Make sure he has a bowel movement in the next day, or whatever is normal for him. You'll have to watch to make sure. That would be the first sign. If he has bowel movements he'll recover fine. Definitely watch him for any changes in his normal routine. Bring him into a vet if he stops eating, starts hiding, or has no bowel movement in two days. You could work out a payment plan or borrow from someone. Please try not to worry, I know how hard this is, but you don't want to make him nervous. please keep us informed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyLove4956

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you figure out how much he may have ingested? If it was maybe a small amount, make sure he drinks plenty of water. You could call a vet and see what they suggest, you might google a pet poison center and see what they say too. Cats eat all kinds of weird stuff in their lives, most we don't even know about. Their digestive systems are totally different then ours, that is why they can drink out of nasty birdbaths and mud puddles and be OK. I really doubt a vet will do much until he starts acting different, Make sure he has a bowel movement in the next day, or whatever is normal for him. You'll have to watch to make sure. That would be the first sign. If he has bowel movements he'll recover fine. Definitely watch him for any changes in his normal routine. Bring him into a vet if he stops eating, starts hiding, or has no bowel movement in two days. You could work out a payment plan or borrow from someone. Please try not to worry, I know how hard this is, but you don't want to make him nervous. please keep us informed!
He probably ingested about a 10 year old's thumb ( sorry weird measurement but it works!) My cat isn't the one for drinking water, if he does drink it, i dont see him doing it. I would rather not borrow money because itplaces me in debt. I will try keeping yall informed. It is hard not to worry. i will try.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try setting small bowls of water around to encourage him, or give him some canned food that has a gravy. The main thing right now is to watch for bowel movements the next couple of days, if he passes the clay, he will be fine......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyLove4956

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might try setting small bowls of water around to encourage him, or give him some canned food that has a gravy. The main thing right now is to watch for bowel movements the next couple of days, if he passes the clay, he will be fine......
Ok i will keep an eye out.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The free animal poison control hotline is to always have on hand:

Kansas State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital 1-785-532-5679

If it's advised to take your cat to the vet or your cat becomes ill (vomiting, diarrhea, lethergic, etc), try this to get help with bills:

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

There may be low cost vet clinics in your area as well. Banfield, the vet hospital located in Petsmart stores, offers a free exam to new clients but any treatment and medicine etc cost extra.