Cat eating but not going to bathroom

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a 16 year old cat who is eating but I don’t think she’s going to the bathroom, only peeing. Is there a food I can give her to help? Is pumpkin good? I had a pouch of Stella & Chewys tuna and pumpkin and was wondering if that could help?
I have several cats that use the litter box so it’s hard to tell, not able to separate. I gave her some Lax’aire which is laxative and lubricant which helped her go several days ago. I could tell it was hers because it was really soft but not diarrhea like. But now she won’t take it..or at least not enough.
Any suggestions, please

thank you

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does she usually eat wet or dry food? Would try wet food for sure if she has been eating dry.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know you were worried if your cat - assuming it is the same one - might have hyperthyroidism based on her behavior. Did you talk to the vet about that aspect, as well as the bowel issue? If I recall correctly, you were worried about her bowel movements then too. At her age, the vet should be kept in the loop about any changes, since so many things can be health related.

You might ask them if using Miralax would be a good alternative to the laxative you are currently using. I don't know anything about Lax'aire, but Miralax as a laxative is about as 'natural' as you can get. Most people start out with 1/8 tsp, and see how that works. As I understand it, it is best to mix it with a bit of water first, and then feed it to her by placing it into some food.

I don't know how many cats or how many litter boxes you have, but sometimes cats - especially as they age - will avoid the litter box at certain times if it has already been used by too many cats, in that they will hold it longer than normal.