Cat dropping bowel movement on floor throughout the house.

N Ivey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an 11 yr old Himalayan. She had a ruptured anal gland about 2 yrs ago. Since then, she has periods of running through the house dropping her bowel movement. She has also had her anal glands expressed 3 or 4 times during that period. My vet does not feel that the dropping is related to the glands. She feels it is neurological, so I have an appointment with a neurologist soon. Has anyone heard of this problem and been able to resolve it?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have the vet check for a perineal hernia.

Casper has a perineal hernia and he sometimes drops little dingleberries around the house.

We are saving up the money so Casper can have surgery to fix his hernia but, until we can, we do what we can so that it's easier for him to go to the bathroom.

When Casper's stool gets too hard, it's difficult for the feces to pass and that's when he drops dingleberries. In order to keep his stool soft we try to feed him at least 50% wet food instead of dry. We make sure Casper has enough water to drink. We put 1/4 tsp. of Miralax in his food every day and we give him a dose of medication in his food each day.

As long as we do all of those things, Casper is okay.

Also, make sure your kitty is making a deposit in the litter box every day. Monitor how much food she eats and watch to see how much comes out. As long as "input" equals "output" you're okay. If she skips more than one day at the litter box, get right on the horn to your vet.

Fingers crossed! Thoughts and prayers be with you! :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was going to say something similar to Caspers Human Caspers Human . Often when you find "dingle berries around the house, it's from constipation rather than anything else. And the fix? Exactly as outlined above :)