Cat drinks to much water then throws it all up

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has been doing this since last summer. She is diabetic (She isn't dehydrated), overactive thyroid and inflammation of the bladder. She has her insulin, thyroid medicine, Cosequin twice a day and pain medicine when needed. I give her Cerenia when needed for vomiting and she can go a whole month without doing this and then suddenly it all starts in again. Had her to the animal hospital last summer and they didn't know why. My vet doesn't know why. Anyone else know why???? I was told by the animal hospital and my vet cats don't over drink water to fill their stomachs when they are hungry like dogs do but my other cat would do that. So, I'm wondering if this cat is doing it only because she is hungry too.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no idea but try posting on the FelineDiabetes.com message board if you aren't already a member there and have asked.

Is it water or clear stomach fluid? Does the vomiting happen immediatley after drinking or some time afterwards?

Ask your vet to consult with a veterinary school or other vet hospital for ideas on why your cat is vomiting water / clear fluid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have no idea but try posting on the FelineDiabetes.com message board if you aren't already a member there and have asked.

Is it water or clear stomach fluid? Does the vomiting happen immediatley after drinking or some time afterwards?

Ask your vet to consult with a veterinary school or other vet hospital for ideas on why your cat is vomiting water / clear fluid.
It's clear water and it happens right after she does all that drinking. Already asked vet and they have nothing more to add. The animal hospital I went to is a school/learning one and only one around and that one is 1 1/2 hours away. Thanks for the Diabetes website.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In the meantime, put less water in the dish(es) even though it does mean you will have to replenish it/them more frequently. The other thing to try might be to see if your cat will lick ice cubes (in lieu of water) which should slow down the amount of liquid that she can drink at one time.

I know you said you are sure it is water and not gastric juices, but sometimes it is just too hard to tell the difference. I wonder if your vet would react differently if they thought it was gastric juices coming up even if it does have to do with the amount of water she drinks??

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the meantime, put less water in the dish(es) even though it does mean you will have to replenish it/them more frequently. The other thing to try might be to see if your cat will lick ice cubes (in lieu of water) which should slow down the amount of liquid that she can drink at one time.

I know you said you are sure it is water and not gastric juices, but sometimes it is just too hard to tell the difference. I wonder if your vet would react differently if they thought it was gastric juices coming up even if it does have to do with the amount of water she drinks??
I have 4 cats so I can't back off on the water. Plus, all of them will only drink from a water fountain. If I see her doing that, I make her go away but this doesn't happen all the time. She was good for a month and then it started up again. She also started drinking out of the toilet (last year) and none of them have done that even as kittens. Also started licking the outside of the toilet so I spray the outside with vinegar to stop that. Then she started sitting on the dishwasher door to drink the water on the door when I was emptying/refilling. Now I can no longer walk away leaving the door opened for a few seconds. Maybe they get senile in old age like people on that part. Vet did every test there is last summer including ultrasound as the last test (She had xray also earlier) along with urine test and all her tests come back good. Oh, I add ice cubes to their water during the summer and they are afraid of them. I'm pretty much at my wits end on this because she can't stay on the Cerenia for a long-time vet said because it depletes a vitamin which I can't remember what one. Thank you for the help.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has been doing this since last summer. She is diabetic (She isn't dehydrated), overactive thyroid and inflammation of the bladder. She has her insulin, thyroid medicine, Cosequin twice a day and pain medicine when needed. I give her Cerenia when needed for vomiting and she can go a whole month without doing this and then suddenly it all starts in again. Had her to the animal hospital last summer and they didn't know why. My vet doesn't know why. Anyone else know why???? I was told by the animal hospital and my vet cats don't over drink water to fill their stomachs when they are hungry like dogs do but my other cat would do that. So, I'm wondering if this cat is doing it only because she is hungry too.
No idea,but I googled and found this
Urine problems in diabetic pets

Last edited:

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No uti. She's been tested many times. She does have inflammation of the bladder which has the same characters of a UTI.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
She has her insulin, thyroid medicine, Cosequin twice a day and pain medicine when needed. I give her Cerenia when needed for vomiting and she can go a whole month without doing this and then suddenly it all starts in again.
There must be something causing her to want to drink so much water.
Wondering if she feels her throat is dry, ...from either the meds, dry winter air, or even weather changes outside causing inside temperatures and barometric pressure to change.

Could you possibly keep track of the Time you give her the meds...and when you notice her go to the water fountain to drink?

Also wondering if placing some water bowls...higher up...on some boxes, or wood, to raise the level of the water bowl...so she is not hunched over while drinking...would help?

Do you notice her grooming herself more, leading up to the times...when she drinks more water?
Maybe they get senile in old age like people on that part. Vet did every test there is last summer including ultrasound as the last test (She had xray also earlier) along with urine test and all her tests come back good. Oh, I add ice cubes to their water during the summer and they are afraid of them. I'm pretty much at my wits end on this because she can't stay on the Cerenia for a long-time vet said because it depletes a vitamin which I can't remember what one.
How old is she?
Plus, all of them will only drink from a water fountain. If I see her doing that, I make her go away but this doesn't happen all the time. She was good for a month and then it started up again.
She may actually need the water, if she is feeling nauseous,..or dry throat...unwell, etc.
I don't know if I would make her go away,...but I understand that you don't want her to throw up the water every time, either.

***I was wondering if those 'urine dipsticks'...that some members have used for their diabetic cats, could help at all.

**Would catching her urine, free flow, and then using a syringe to place drops on the 'urine stick pads'...which change colour... help you figure out what is going on.
It may not be accurate enough, since it is subjective,...due to colour changes...but it may help you determine if any urine changes are happening.
Just a thought,...as I have never actually tried to use them myself.
Checkup Pet Wellness Urinalysis Testing Kit Urine Testing for Dogs & Cats, 50 strips - Chewy.com
I also wonder how accurate they are.
No uti. She's been tested many times. She does have inflammation of the bladder which has the same characters of a UTI.
What do they give you for inflammation of the bladder?
Is it treated by medication...or a special wet food?