cat drinking from macaws water

flamingo1981

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont encourage cats and birds to be friends but mine is always good with my own pet birds even since she was a small kitten she knew the diff

She doesnt interact with them but i caught her drinking my macaws water? I know they have lethal bacteria in their claws and from a bite but could this kill my bird?

The bacteria that kills them is psturellla sp and I think the  cat has to puncture the bird or dig her claws in for it to cause poison

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't let the cat's salvia touch the bird or especially where the bird eat and drinks. Cat's salvia can be poison to birds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flamingo1981

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Parrots have strong bills and can hurt us but after having all kinds you realize they don't have the agility/cordination to use them in defense on a real predator, which is why feral cats can kill the largest species in the world real easy in new zealand. Some people feed ferals here in the summer near their parrot penns to keep away stoats/rats/snakes.

My cat ignores my parrots and vice versa though

I know of a macaw who died from infection after having his face clawed by their cat, I think the claws or teeth need to puncture the bird though.

my mynah and barbet bird though is a real fighter and was more designed to fight off predators than flee and can chase the most aggressive parrot from their nest box.  I have to keep them in a seperate room.

Last edited: