Cat doesn't want to drink water after anesthesia

itsyuioll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

My cat is a 7 year old Persian, neutered (female), doesn't have any health problem, weighs around 4.5 kgs.

I live in a country with hot climate so we give her a trim every year during the summer. She's a feisty cat and would attack the vet whenever he came near her so we've always had to sedate her before the trim.

She got her hair trimmed today, but the only difference is that he gave her a low dose, which did nothing for her, so he had to give her another dose of sedative to knock her out. I'm not sure what he gave her. He did mention that what he's given her is quite strong and to expect her to not feel 100% for the next few hours.

She woke up 3 hours later, a bit wobbly but that's expected. She threw up basically bile twice and passed out. She would wake up, take a few steps, then pass out again.

It's now 8 hours post-sedative and she hasn't drank a drop of water. She did eat dry and wet food when she was fully woken up and still wobbles around. She responds to us but a bit slower than usual so she's alert and awake. I'm very worried about her not drinking water. I have tried giving it to her with a syringe but she runs away. I placed several water dishes around with fresh water and she hasn't even looked at them. She eats okay, it's just the water that's worrying me. And like I mentioned, its 40c+ right now, so I'm very worried about dehydration.

Is that normal for cats to be like that after anesthesia? What should I do? I'd be very appreciative if anyone can help me.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's likely still some post-anesthesia side effect which can last up to 24 hours or so. As long as your cat is eating canned (wet) food, she is getting plenty of water from that. You can add a spoonful of water to the canned food to ensure that she is getting plenty of water. Can you feed only canned food for a few days until she has fully recovered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

itsyuioll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's a relief to hear, thank you so much for replying!
I'll be giving her wet food with a bit of water like you've mentioned for the next few days and see how it goes. I'll definitely pay the vet a visit if this problem persists.